General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K & N Filter? Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Gozon8thGen
Base your decision on your experience on your ‘99 vehicle. I used mine on my ‘02 civic and my 2011 Accord a few years after I stopped sending it to the dealership for routine maintenance. Both cars took in air much easier not to mention that sound it makes when pulling in air. You barely make any waste since you just wash and condition the filter every 50k miles. K&N has been in business for a minute as well so if they’re a scam, they’d probably be gone by now.
There are a number of scientifically based studies which clearly show K&N filters are absolute crap when it comes to filtration, literally many orders of magnitude of extra dirt will pass these filters. When I'm car shopping, if I see a K&N on the car, I turn around and walk away.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:06 PM

Okayyyyy you base your study off the internet which is pretty much a joke because you can also find studies that show that it works. I’m giving it my personal opinion as a consumer. I find it effective and efficient for my vehicles.
I buy all my vehicles brand new, unlike you. So I need to be very particular in what I put in my vehicles. Again unlike you I do not buy used beaters, always the first owner. So seeing the K&N installed and perform in my cars which I know were not driven abusively, I’m one of those people who are satisfied with the performance.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Yup, I absolutely knew you were in denial about this and were likely to chuck in a few snide comments to boot.
  • The fact is, K&N filters are crap when it comes to filtering. Don't believe me, then stop being lazy and do a little research on your own.
  • The fact is, K&N filters don't do diddly for performance, just noise, if the noise is what tickles your butt dyno, good for you.
  • Regarding the cars I buy, like it or don't, believe it or not, the cars I buy, both new and used, to date, 22 new cars and 6 used (soon to be 7, one for my daughter).

Old 06-02-2019, 09:19 AM

Just for the record, a used car requires more care and attention than a new car. You having a new car doesn't mean that you take any better care, or have better attention towards it. It just means you want to buy a new car. And you can get away with putting in whatever filter you want.

I've never owned one of the filters, but if I did - I wouldn't be able to point out its performance results, at least for 70-100k miles when you see (or not) an engine related problem. So I would resort to trusting the tests on the filter that say that it does a poor job of filtering. Let me know if you find contradicting scientifical support that says otherwise. I'd be interested to see.

Last edited by NMinop; 06-02-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by NMinop
Just for the record, a used car requires more care and attention than a new car. You having a new car doesn't mean that you take any better care, or have better attention towards it. It just means you want to buy a new car. And you can get away with putting in whatever filter you want.

I've never owned one of the filters, but if I did - I wouldn't be able to point out its performance results, at least for 70-100k miles when you see (or not) an engine related problem. So I would resort to trusting the tests on the filter that say that it does a poor job of filtering. Let me know if you find contradicting scientifically support that says otherwise. I'd be interested to see.
I'll add 2 cents here. Honda does a damn good job of designing a pretty free flowing system. Usually the protrusions added to it, are for noise dampening, and really have no effect on air flow. If you want a K&N filter, run one. Otherwise run a paper one. The big key is to clean or replace it as needed.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
I'll add 2 cents here. Honda does a damn good job of designing a pretty free flowing system. Usually the protrusions added to it, are for noise dampening, and really have no effect on air flow. If you want a K&N filter, run one. Otherwise run a paper one. The big key is to clean or replace it as needed.
The interesting thing about OEM style filters is they actually improve in efficiency as they age. "Yeah," you say, "but what about performance and fuel economy?" The answer is negligible until the filter is way-WAY dirty. For a very good dissertation on this, take a look at the following study.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by shipo
The interesting thing about OEM style filters is they actually improve in efficiency as they age. "Yeah," you say, "but what about performance and fuel economy?" The answer is negligible until the filter is way-WAY dirty.
My understanding, too.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
When I'm car shopping, if I see a K&N on the car, I turn around and walk away.
+1...

Some people believe all the K&N marketing hype or think they can outwit the automotive engineers who designed the car. Just like Slick 50, it is hype.

Sure, racing drivers make all kinds of modifications to their cars, including increased air flow. But they tear down and rebuild much more frequently than street drivers. $$$$

Last edited by 75Gremlin; 06-06-2019 at 11:37 AM.