General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Key fob tail gate failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 07:13 PM
Default Key fob tail gate failure

Hi guys

Sorry for asking nut have been around everywhere trying to get this solved and can't seem to get it anywhere. Have to try here.

I have bought recently a Accord Tourer 2005 2.2 i-CTDi

The passenger side window switch was broken so I replaced it.

Then discovered that the main switch on driver side only pulled passenger window down, not up.

Bought a new main switch and replaced it.

Reprogrammed the auto function, and is ok.

All windows work fine, I'm glad with the repair.

Thing is my key fobs stopped working. So I had to search for ways to code them back in the car.

Followed a tutorial putting the car in programming mode then pressing lock buttons on every key and voilá.... The doors already open with key fobs.

My tourer has electric tail gate with key fob button to open/close.

That won't work. The key fob blinks but the tail gate does nothing. Don't open or close.
The tail gate closes fine using the tail gate button, but not with the key fob one.
It closes fine manually and if I just barely close it, the electric switch pulls it in and closes the rest.

Just stopped recognizing key fob commands.

Everything was working fine before the mainwindow switch replacement.

Help me please... if you can.

Thank you all in advance.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:02 AM

Forgot something that might be important.

Once I got the key fobs working, it seems that I have to press 2 times to unlock the car.
Didn't do that before.
I'm talking about diferent moments. It took me about an hour to replace and code.
Never disconnected battery.

It could be my bad judgement but I think the remotes worked from greater distance than now and needed only a touch to unlock the car, but now I have to be close to the car and press 2 times on the unlock button.

Just in case this could be related to the problem with the tail gate button on keyfob not working the auto tailgate.

Thanks and merry christmas.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Have you checked to see whether the battery inside the key is getting weak?

Don't know about the tourer, but here in USA for the remote trunk/boot you need to hold the button down for a second or 2 (prevents unintentional opening). A weak battery in the remote might explain both the reduced range and the inability of the key to maintain a signal for the required duration.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Have you checked to see whether the battery inside the key is getting weak?

Don't know about the tourer, but here in USA for the remote trunk/boot you need to hold the button down for a second or 2 (prevents unintentional opening). A weak battery in the remote might explain both the reduced range and the inability of the key to maintain a signal for the required duration.
All was working preaty fine before changing the window control panel so I must confess I didn't check the batteries. Rookie mystake I know.
Will do that today. Hope that's the problem and you can call me stupid after.
Thanks

Old 01-04-2017, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Cant call you stupid for making the same rookie mistake that I've made in the past...

Old 01-04-2017, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Cant call you stupid for making the same rookie mistake that I've made in the past...
Thanks