General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Keyless remote

Old 05-31-2007, 03:55 AM
kakashi74
Unregistered
Default Keyless remote

Hello everyone,
I have a 2007 Accord EX-L and I had a question about the key. I did a search and my question is a little different from the others...so please bear with me.

I lost one of my keys and I want to replace it. If I buy a new key from Honda, will I be able to program it myself? I've seen the DIY section, but I'm wondering about the immobilizer chip. Is there another special programming that needs to be done with special equipment?

Also, say someone finds my lost key...even though the remote doesn't work, if they use the key to manually unlock and start the ignition will it still work? The valet key has an immobilizer chip, but if there's no way to reprogram this, then is the immobilizer chip generic for all Hondas? If the immobilizer chip is specific for each car, then how do I program this on my new key?

Old 05-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Keyless remote

Assuming 2007 is about the same as earlier ones...

You can use the DIY procedure to program the remote locks. Do this with all your remotes, then the lost one won't work any more.

Programming the immobilizer is separate from programming the remote door locks. You don't program the key, you program the CAR to recognize & accept each ofthe keys. When you do this, make sure you take EVERY key that you have. Tell the guy to delete the missing key from the list, so it won't work any more. Maybe the only way to program the immobilizer is to delete all the keys & start over. That's why you need all the keys with you.

Once that's done, the missing key will unlock the doors, but it won't start the engine.

If you find the missing key, then you can go thru the procedure all over again to include it back in the 'authorized' list.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:52 AM
kakashi74
Unregistered

So in order to program the car to recognize the immobilizer chip, do you have to go to the dealership? Is there a way to do this part yourself?

Old 05-31-2007, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

I think you have to go to someone who has the type of high-poweredscan tool that dealers use. More than your average OBD-2 scanner, but I bet some shops other than dealers would have it.