General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

keys lost

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 01:12 AM
bgatesman
Unregistered
Default keys lost

I made the mistake of putting all my honda keys (master, copy of master, service) on a single keychain since i was planning on selling my 1989 Accord DX to a friend who needed wheels - of course, I promptly lost those keys. Tore apart the house, but still couldn't find them. I ended up signing the title over to him anyways, and told him all he needed to do was go to a Honda dealer with his new title and driver's license, and they'd cut the keys he would need to drive the car out of my garage. Well, after striking out at the three Honda dealers he went to, he's not sure what to do. And I feel pretty bad too. Apparently the dealers use the same key cutter/database or whatever, but none were really able to offer much help. The last dealer even asked my friend to bring the lock cylinder from the glove compartment back to the dealership to take a close look at, but the keys they cut still didn't work.

Is the problem the fact the car is so old? Or did we just have bad luck with the three dealers he went to? Maybe 4th time is the charm?

Will it ultimately be possible to get the correct 1989 Accord DX keys made?

Old 06-03-2006, 01:17 AM
reaXion
Unregistered
Default RE: keys lost

I work at carmax and what we usually do is call a name brand lock smith to come out and they should be able to cut you a key on the spot.
Don't call them after hours, or you'll end up paying an arm and a leg for a key.
Just take your time and find a good locksmith.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:53 AM
bgatesman
Unregistered

reaXion -
thanks for your reply. My friend actually did go to a local locksmith yesterday with the glove compartment lock cylinder - unfortunately i don't know the details, but the locksmith wasn't able to help. maybe there are better locksmiths out there? would locksmiths have access to the right tools/databases/etc that Honda dealers wouldn't? that's what's so confusing - i had thought that if anyone could make a Honda key, it'd be a Honda dealer. shouldn't that be the case?

Old 06-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

remove the trunk lock and take it to a lock smith..........it takes 5 minutes to remove it..
I have seen at times that glove box keys do not match ignition keys ,, but trunk lock key tumbler is same as ignition or door key..