General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Klunking sound under the car

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 03:47 AM
TheNorv
Unregistered
Default Klunking sound under the car

Hi, i'm new to these forums.

I recently received my dads 94 Accord LX Sedan. And as a better gift i get to fix it up.

I noticed when i was driving it, everytime i took a turn i heard loud klunk from the underbody. It seems to only happen on a sharp or hard turn. And the sound comes from the center of the car under the body. My dad say it's the idle arm but i don't think he knows that much about cars. I'm really looking to get that fixed so does anybody know what the problem is? And how can i fix it? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default RE: Klunking sound under the car

Your pops definately doesn't know anything about cars. NO offense either.
There is no such thing as a idle arm.
One of the most common clunks when making a hard turn is the axle.
All you need to do to inspect this is to turn the wheel full lock in any one direction. Look at where the axle connects into the hub - you want to look at the rubber boot where the joint is. The boot contains all of the bearing greese that keeps the joint functioning properly. If the boot tears, all of the greese flys out and the metal in the joint starts to break down and eventually cause all of that noise.

This is not necessarily the only possibility but it is my first guess.
Check it out.

Let us know what you see.

Brandon

Old 06-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

He probably knows older cars; an idler arm would have been part of the steering if this was acar from the '60s.

Could be CV joints like lilskul says, or maybe ball joints. Do you want help with doing it yourself or ???

Old 06-24-2007, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I had the same problem on a 90 Accord EX and found the front anti-sway bar (or stablizer bar) bushings were almost completely gone. Replacement fixed the problem. It's a fairly easy DIY.

good luck