General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Leaky Tires - Advice

Old 01-20-2007, 02:09 AM
GirlWithoutAClue
Unregistered
Default Leaky Tires - Advice

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and am looking for some help/advice from other Honda Accord owners.

I've got a 94 Honda Accord EX-R and for the last couple of years, I've had a problem with slow leaks in my tires (particularly the two front ones). I've been unlucky enough that they've gone flat while driving and I've spent more money than I care to admit fixing them.

I try to get them brushed and resealed as often as possible but thisends up being avery temporary fix.

Does anyone else have this problem? What other avenues can I explore to fix them? Should I just get steelies?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2007, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Leaky Tires - Advice

if its a continuous problem like it sounds like it is it might be worth it to just buy new rims. Have you tried going heavy on the bead sealer when putting the tires on? Also you may want to consider filling them with nitrogen rather then oxygen, as I have been told nitrogen molecules are bigger so they are less likely to leak through small holes.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:29 AM

The whole Nitrogen thing is crap[:'(]! Break down your tires clean the wheels with a wire brush where the bead seals and dont use and kind of lube when mounting the tire.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:48 PM

make sure your rims are not warped or leaking, and yeah, just get new rubber

Old 01-20-2007, 07:32 PM

You didn't say how old your current tires are. Are the current wheels alloys, steel, what?Are they original?If the interior of the wheels (tires removed)has rusted or pitted then get rid of them. If they are that far gone you can wire brush and seal until the cows come home and the tires will still leak down. If that's the case, and you're SURE the tires are leak free then it's time for new wheels.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:12 PM
oldaccordman
Unregistered

I hate to tell you but, there is no long term solution to the problem.
I work at a Bridgestone-Firestone tire store and we see this problem every day, with all types of vehicles. Once the wheels have eitherstarted to corrode or rust at the tire bead area, all that can be done is grind the area as clean as possible, apply bead sealer, and hope for the best.
It's like rust on a car's body. Once the chemical reaction starts breaking down the metal, nothing we've found can stop it.
Only answer is new wheels but even they may start leaking in the future. ; (

Old 02-05-2007, 10:40 AM
KenJacobs
Unregistered

Have you considered using inner tubes? if available, they would correct problem.