General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lesson Learned: AC Hose Shot :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Default Lesson Learned: AC Hose Shot :(

Well after almost 2 years my high pressure A/C hard line has sprung a hole Worst time of course in the 100+ heat here in the northeast. The root cause was the medal clamp that holds part of the airbox was put on the wrong way and ended up rubbing a hold in the high pressure hard line. I can only blame myself, which is sometimes the worst haha.

With that said, I am having trouble finding the hardline (with the high pressure fill nozzle) online. Can anyone offer suggestion(s) on where I may get this line?

Here's a pic for everyone to learn from.

Attached Thumbnails Lesson Learned:  AC Hose Shot :(-photo1_zps216e9e44.jpg  
Old 07-03-2014, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator
Old 07-03-2014, 12:18 PM

Thanks! I see they are quite pricy! $196 just for the one hose. What a rip off. $200 for a 3 ft. piece of bent aluminium. Crooks.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

May not be the official way but there are splice kits you can get? It looks like it is right at a 90 bend - do a search for "dorman 800-692", pretty sure that is a 3/8 line.

EDIT: They have some other fittings that compress to the hard line and then you can use some ac hose. So two fittings and ~ 6 inches of ac hose is another idea.

Pull it and find a welding shop?

Whatever you decide, since the system has to be "opened up", a new drier should be on the list as well.

Last edited by poorman212; 07-03-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The low temperature aluminum brazing rods may be another option. See the many youtube videos on how to use these rods; basically clean, heat and touch rod to parent material.

good luck

Old 07-03-2014, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
May not be the official way but there are splice kits you can get? It looks like it is right at a 90 bend - do a search for "dorman 800-692", pretty sure that is a 3/8 line.

EDIT: They have some other fittings that compress to the hard line and then you can use some ac hose. So two fittings and ~ 6 inches of ac hose is another idea.

Pull it and find a welding shop?

Whatever you decide, since the system has to be "opened up", a new drier should be on the list as well.
Thanks everyone for the input. I am may try to pull the hard lines from a junk yard car that are in good shape. I just picked up new o-rings at Honda today and have a new dryer coming in at Carquest tomorrow. They also suggested installed a new dryer. I am pretty naive when it comes to AC systems. Can anyone explain why because I had a line go bad that I should also replace the dryer?

Old 07-04-2014, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

The drier will absorb moisture. So if the system is "open" for any length of time, it will basically become saturated.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
The drier will absorb moisture. So if the system is "open" for any length of time, it will basically become saturated.
Thanks Scott! The evaporator also absorbs moisture?

Old 07-04-2014, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The drier captures inevitable moisture mixed w/ R134a to prevent formation of harmful acids that can damage the system. Cheap insurance to replace receiver/drier.

You also need a vacuum pump to pull most moisture from system before charging. Perhaps single most important step in charging. It can also provide a final proof of pressure containment integrity if the vacuum level is held for 15-30 mins w/o dropping more than 2-3 inches-hg. If vacuum level drops to zero in that amount of time, you have a leak!

good luck

Old 07-07-2014, 09:18 PM

I wanted to follow up with everyone and tell everyone how I made out. The verdict is success

However, I know TexasHonda will be upset, I did not vacuum the system I do not have a vacuum pump and my 6 year old dog was diagnosed with a herniated disc and may need 6 grand in surgery. I installed all new o-rings, 2 very good condition junk yard liquid hard lines and a new dryer. It has been 36 hours and the pressure is dead on spec and the system has 22 oz of freon on her. It blows the coldest air I have felt since I built her 2 years ago. I am amazed at this little car. Now I have to figure out how to remove the evaporator in my 84 (w126) 300sd Mercedes-Benz. This I am sure will be a bit more challenging. Thanks everyone for all there input and information. Long live my '94 Accord with 207,500 miles.

Quick Reply: Lesson Learned: AC Hose Shot :(