General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a little help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 03:17 AM
Default a little help

hey whats up guy's i have 96 accord ex i was wondering if any of you would know if i could use a diferent "ecu" from another honda to put in my my car if anybody knows i would like to here about it thanks for the help

Old 06-17-2006, 04:50 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: a little help

ORIGINAL: accord5g

hey whats up guy's i have 96 accord ex i was wondering if any of you would know if i could use a diferent "ecu" from another honda to put in my my car if anybody knows i would like to here about it thanks for the help

what do you mean from another Honda ?? different year ? or same year ? just different car ?

Old 06-17-2006, 11:41 AM

sorry guy's it was kind of late lastnight when i poste'd to be more specific i was wondering if "any" other "ecu" would work regardless of the year or make it came from the problem is that at most of my local junk yards their are more civics acuras and some preludes but once in a while they will get an accord but for some reason they want a **** load of money for parts of them. the reason i was wondering is because i was having a v-tec controller installed and the guy that was installing it took out my "ecu" and after he put everything back together my car started to run kind of wierd so we uninstalled the v-tec controller and it still did the same thing so before i go and start taking my car appart i want to try a differrent "ecu" see if that help's

Old 06-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Only a few specific ones would interchange. Maybe only '96 & '97 Accord EX. I suppose the LX doesn't have VTEC, so that's out. Earlier 5th-gen ('94, '95) are OBD-1 so they have different wiring configuration at the ECU, and they're missing the circuits for some sensors. You don't say where you are, but California smog laws make it pretty difficult to swap stuff like that.

I doubt if ANY Civic ECU would work.