General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need a little help with ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 03:11 PM
sevenhate
Unregistered
Default Need a little help with ideas

Ok I have a friend that I am trying to help out with a 1987 Honda Accord (DX) 4dr Sedan, trust me the car is in pretty rough shape. I was hoping that some of you could help me out with a few suggestions.
First- Since it is a 1987 is there any newer models that I can get parts for or from to improve this one or did they change it too much in the later builds? (very general question I know).
Second- (All questions kind of revolve around the first one) I can't find any performance suspension parts for this year make and model ... not looking to blow the bank but some cost efficient suggestions beyond OEM would be great.
Third- Looking for similar upgrade/ performance items for Interior (something like seats from a newer prelude maybe??) as well as engine and tranny upgrades. I hope there will be a few ideas or links posted and if not thanks for reading anyway.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Default RE: Need a little help with ideas

Welcome to the forum!

First- 86-89 are almost identical so a lot of those parts are interchangeable.

Second- I would try some OE springs from H&R they only lower the car .75" and are a better performance (Unless you wanted to lower the car this should be fine) you can call H&R I think their website is HRSprings.com

Third-As far as the interior goes you can do a variety of things it just depends on what you want to do and how much work you want to put into it to fabricate brakets etc.. If you are looking for direct trade/bolt accross parts I have no idea

Old 05-31-2006, 01:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Good luck with your car.... I am not sure if a H22a will fit in there (engine height). 90 and newer transmissions are electronically controlled (autos only).

I would pull the front and rear seats out and then clean the carpet. While you got the seats out you can either replace them or clean them and then reinstall

Old 05-31-2006, 01:38 PM
sevenhate
Unregistered

Thanks for the responses! I think for the most part I will be doing direct bolt on application stuff. If I pull the seats out I think looking at the carpet and the age it would be almost easier to replace it which is definitely an option. The seats could be replaced I found some from a prelude but they had heating elements in them and I don't know if that would be a big wiring hassle or not (since some cars are prewired for such options). The OE spring suggest sounds like a good call though as well as finding parts either from a used 1989 or buy new for a 1989.

I noticed that the year of the car being what it is there are limitations as to performance upgrades for things like distributers, ignitions, carb vs FI, some things wouldn't be too bad but others take the cost up quite a bit but the possibility of an engine and transmission with warranty for under a grand means that the rest of the car would be pretty much cosmetic.

Look forward to hearing more suggestions though.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if you use prelude seats you will have to fab some new brakets or hack the ones up from the accord to get them to fit.

Carpet will run about $280 shipped for a good quality aftermarket one