General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Localized ATF leak when driving long distances '03 EX

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 10:05 AM
Default Localized ATF leak when driving long distances '03 EX

Sorry if this is a long post, but I think giving the full details might help.

I had about a 1000 mile round trip earlier this week, and about 1/4 of the drive was through some pretty steep hills. I had the car set to cruise between 70-75 for the entire trip. I also did my last ATF change approximately 1500 miles ago.

Anywho, once I reached my destination, I noticed a very small drip from around the transmission box (where the drain plug is located). I checked the level on the dipstick, and it was a little low (a little bit below the bottom dot) so I added a quart and a half thinking that would hold me over until I got home.

I pulled into a gas station about 300 miles into my return trip to fill up, and smelled ATF. I checked the levels again, and it was pretty much empty (just touching the tip of the dipstick). The gas station didn't carry any ATF, so I added two quarts from my last ATF change just so I had SOMETHING in there to carry me the rest of the way, which I know isn't the greatest at all.

I'm moving halfway across the country next week, so I need to save all the pennies I can, and fortunately I don't need to drive the car again until I get to my new home (towing it with the moving truck).

So a few questions:
1.) Until I can afford to take it to the shop, would the best thing be to drain and fill the ATF and monitor the levels? (and obviously not drive it)

2.) With it being a slow, localized at the transmission box underneath the car, does this indicate a bad gasket or seal?

Old 03-25-2016, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, 2 quarts in 300 miles is NOT a slow leak, sure your drain plug washer is good...Honda strongly recommends replacing it each time the plug is removed.

But even a loose drain plug or faulty washer wouldn't relieve you of 2 quarts in 300 miles.

There is a filter with a hose going into it and out of it located on top of the transmission, check that, end to end and then remove the drivers side wheel and you'll be able to see the solenoid pack and connector. So, unless the case itself is leaking...can't think of anything else.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
Wow, 2 quarts in 300 miles is NOT a slow leak, sure your drain plug washer is good...Honda strongly recommends replacing it each time the plug is removed.

But even a loose drain plug or faulty washer wouldn't relieve you of 2 quarts in 300 miles.

There is a filter with a hose going into it and out of it located on top of the transmission, check that, end to end and then remove the drivers side wheel and you'll be able to see the solenoid pack and connector. So, unless the case itself is leaking...can't think of anything else.
My initial thoughts were the drain plug/crush washer when I arrived at my destination, but after seeing the amount lost on my way home, and seeing some other posts, I thought of the transmission box.

Will check the filter hose and solenoid connections in a few minutes. I was going to go to the parts shop for some more ATF today anyways, so I'll see if they have new drain bolts as well.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Most likely failure points are hoses and connections to radiator cooling loop. A leak is necessary and leak of that magnitude should be trace-able.

Check radiator coolant for signs of contamination (ATF in coolant).

good luck

Old 03-25-2016, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

One other thought...axle shaft seals.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Most likely failure points are hoses and connections to radiator cooling loop. A leak is necessary and leak of that magnitude should be trace-able.

Check radiator coolant for signs of contamination (ATF in coolant).

good luck
I'll take a peak at the radiator hoses and coolant color as well.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:49 PM

Update: Checked all hose connections and they seem to be fine. ATF color is normal. I've got a pretty bad shoulder at the moment, so I couldn't take the tire off, however I did put it on the ramps to take pictures to give you a better idea of the area where it's leaking.

Back of the transmission box

The part right behind it (don't know what it's called)

Left of the previous picture, right behind the left wheel.

The line parallel to the exhaust had ATF on it, but that connection looked fine.

I wiped the area down and will check in a few hours to see if it has developed again.

Attached Thumbnails Localized ATF leak when driving long distances '03 EX-img_20160325_152953405_zpsjobndadz.jpg   Localized ATF leak when driving long distances '03 EX-img_20160325_153038731_zpsspdsjxgm.jpg   Localized ATF leak when driving long distances '03 EX-img_20160325_153135556_zpsfd9av81a.jpg  
Old 03-25-2016, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Is that first picture of the bolt that you removed to drain the transmission originally? Because, that's not the drain plug on an '03 4 cylinder automatic.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
Is that first picture of the bolt that you removed to drain the transmission originally? Because, that's not the drain plug on an '03 4 cylinder automatic.
It isn't. I triple checked the drain bolt location before draining it.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I recently found a power steerng leak (PS pump) by cleaning thoroughly w/ brake cleaner and running. Leak was easily visible. Yours should be also.

good luck

Quick Reply: Localized ATF leak when driving long distances '03 EX