General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lock actuator replacement - bolt stripping

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:09 AM
Default Lock actuator replacement - bolt stripping

Ugh. I'm trying to replace a faulty left rear power door lock actuator on my 2002 Accord. The top two bolts came out smooth as butter but the lower bolt won't budge and is starting to strip.

Any thoughts/advice on how to proceed? Is this a common problem? I used what seemed to be an appropriate size philips bit. Do I need an impact driver or some other tool?

Thanks.
Jim

Old 11-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

An impact driver may do the job.

If not, I've also used a small sharp cold chisel to hit edge of bolt/screw and break loose. Replace screw when extracted.

good luck

Old 11-22-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
An impact driver may do the job.

If not, I've also used a small sharp cold chisel to hit edge of bolt/screw and break loose. Replace screw when extracted.

good luck
Thanks, TexasHonda. I may be stripped beyond the grip of an impact driver so I like the idea of using the chisel to break it loose.

Jim

Old 12-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Default No luck

So I've tried both the impact driver and chisel. The bolt won't budge. I've pretty much stripped out the head and the chisel just curls the metal.

Which got me wondering. What is in the door behind these bolts? If I were to drill the head enough to get the mechanism loose from the door, would I have any better chance of removing what remains of the bolt?

Any other ideas? I thought about finding someone to weld a head onto the bolt but not sure if this would work.

Jim

Old 12-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you are referring to the 3 screws holding the latch to the door frame. It is the latch behind there; but, if you drill, you will need to use a smaller diameter drill bit (which you probably already realized from seeing how the screw looks like from the ones you removed).

Before trying to drill, I would try using a center punch to make an indentation on the screw, then while holding it at an angle, use a hammer to drive the screw out counter-clockwise. A center punch only needs a tiny area of the screw to bite into.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:57 AM

Welding a nut onto the bolt may work,..if the bolt material will back out w/o twisting off. I suspect this bolt may be cross-threaded making removal very difficult.

You may ultimately need to drill out and install a blind rivet nut. See youtube video Installation of "Blind Rivet Nuts".

good luck

Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Before trying to drill, I would try using a center punch to make an indentation on the screw, then while holding it at an angle, use a hammer to drive the screw out counter-clockwise. A center punch only needs a tiny area of the screw to bite into.
What you would be trying to do would be similar to this link:

How to remove the ignition assembly

Old 12-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

I may be wrong; but, I thought the lock actuators on the 6th gen Accords could be removed without removing the latch.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Default Success!

Yes, SUCCESS! The center punch did the trick. After about 15 minutes of working at it I was literally within a few blows of throwing in the towel. Just like that, the screw head began to turn! Thanks to all of your for your help!!!

So I come on here to share my success, only to see the post above that says that I may not have to remove the latch to replace the actuator. Oh, well. Live and learn.

That said, can anyone shed light on whether or not I do indeed need to remove the latch? Even better, point me to model-specific instructions for my 2002 Accord? I thought I'd done my research and all of the directions I found all looked like the actuator and latch came out as one single unit that had to be separated.

Also, anyone know of a good online source to procure a new bolt? My local Honda dealership ripped me off to the tune of $3500 last year for what turned out to be a bad ignition switch, so I am not anxious to give them another penny of business, even if it's just for a single bolt.
Thanks again.
Jim

Old 12-09-2011, 01:58 PM

You can find M6 or M4 bolts at hardware or auto parts stores.

Check youtube video "How to Install Replace Rear Power Door Lock Actuator Honda Accord 94-97 1AAuto.com". This should be very similar to yours.

good luck

Quick Reply: Lock actuator replacement - bolt stripping