General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Looking at '89 Accord, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 04:07 AM
GregonVI
Unregistered
Default Looking at '89 Accord, have questions

Looking ata '89 Accord LX sedan for possible purchase. Car is an automaticwith a carb. Interioris near mint, the power windows and door locks work, cruise works, everything works! The body is in decent condition, a little rust here and there but nothing that I can't deal with, we like it.
The only down side is that the car has 237,500 miles (380,000 km) on it. The engine runs well, doesn't miss or smoke and the owner says that it doesn't use any oil. The trans seems to shift with no problem and the car drives nicely on the highway. Had some recent work-new fuel pump, timing belt and waterpump, tires are near new.
Is there anything else I should check for on this car (Accord specific) ? I have done most ofthe usual checks, I have not done a compression check though. I checked the struts by bouncing each corner, the back seemed fine but the front didn't seem to have much give.
Should we steer away from this vehicle due to its high mileage or is it worth consideration? Owner is asking $2,000.

Thanks, Greg

Old 04-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Looking at '89 Accord, have questions

Depending on your location, that price seems a bit steep for an 89LX. I sold my 90 EX in late 2005, in excellent mechanical and interior condition w/ a few minor external faults for $1500. It had 270K miles. To get a feel for pricing, check ebay and autotrader for similar cars.

Personnally, I would never consider a carbuerated vehicle again. They are just too complicated and subject to problems. FI was best change ever made to engines. Some may disagree, but that's my 2 cents worth.

I would also suggest getting a Carfax or other report on the vehicle history. This can sometimes save you from a mistake. Very cheap insurance IMO.

I frequently have paid an inspection service to perform a detailed inspection. In every case, they have discovered an item or items that I have used to negotiate a lower price. My favorite is an AC problem. These are expensive to repair at a shop and simple to DIY repair (in Hondas). I usually offer to accept the car "as-is" for $200-300 < than asking price and have never been refused. Most know about the problem in any case so are not surprised when you discover the fault.

good luck

Old 04-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Looking at '89 Accord, have questions

way way too much money.for almost a 20 yr old car . and has some rust as well.. I would NOT reccomend it