General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for brakes & rotors for 2005 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:36 PM
Default Looking for brakes & rotors for 2005 coupe

I'm looking for recommendations for replacing my brake pads and rotors on my 2005 Accord Coupe V6 MT. I'd prefer not to have the dealership install me a new set of Honda parts all around - they haven't held up all that wonderfully and they are expensive comparatively. I'm not looking for racing or spec gear, nor am I looking for the cheapest Duralast equivalent... just some good, quiet, middle-of-the-road gear that I can install myself and get some good mileage out of.

Recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:12 AM

Monroe and walker are decent pads, and just go to your local parts house, look up the pads/rotors they have and buy the mid to high quality/price ones they have... I use the oreillys thermoquiets and havnt had any problems out of them on any of the cars ive installed them on...

Old 06-25-2010, 03:33 PM

Autozone and Advance are the only options locally. So Duralast and Wearever are the options - and not to thrilling, at that. So I figure I'll have to head out to the web to find what I'm in need of. Tire Rack seems to have some nice stuff but I don't know anything about the brands, really. This is the first time I'll be putting brakes on a car that I actually want to keep for a while. All other times have been replacing brakes just to get me through another year or so before changing vehicles. I guess that's why I've been a bit hesitant.

Originally Posted by corvetteking
Monroe and walker are decent pads, and just go to your local parts house, look up the pads/rotors they have and buy the mid to high quality/price ones they have... I use the oreillys thermoquiets and havnt had any problems out of them on any of the cars ive installed them on...

Old 06-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Are you sure you need new rotors? Most have a good chance of being cut once unless you went metal to metal. If you go with cheap ones I would recommend getting them cut before you install them, many come warped in the box. I don’t like using cheap pads as you have a good chance of noise. You can get about a 30% discount off of list if you buy from Majestic Honda. I am surprised at the brand names available at auto parts stores now. I used to see Wagner, Raybestos , and Bendix . Now all I see are off brands some guy probably makes in basement.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

You will find that everyone has different opinions on what brake pads are the best.

My preference is that they are quiet and don't cause a ton of heat on the rotors when braking. I usually go with organic pads. The downside is that they don't last as long. Brake pads are easy enough to change though.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Brembo stock rotors are good, stick with Honda factory pads ...whatever brand you decide to buy make sure not to get the cheapest rotors you will be replacing them again soon ,

Old 06-26-2010, 11:26 PM

I am looking to replace the rotors due to extensive corrosion on the center and the fins/veins. It's so bad I have strips tearing away from the top of the fins and binding happening if my car stays parked for more than a couple days. I swear they are in worse shape than my pads are. I have 5mm minimum on all pads, but the wear is uneven. I've got plenty of shudder in my pedal when I apply the brakes at speeds greater than 40. It's time.

Also, how does the 30% discount work with Majestic? I've been to their site before but the prices were the same as those listed on the Honda eStore that lets me buy the parts and have them ready for pickup at my local dealer. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
Are you sure you need new rotors? Most have a good chance of being cut once unless you went metal to metal. If you go with cheap ones I would recommend getting them cut before you install them, many come warped in the box. I don’t like using cheap pads as you have a good chance of noise. You can get about a 30% discount off of list if you buy from Majestic Honda. I am surprised at the brand names available at auto parts stores now. I used to see Wagner, Raybestos , and Bendix . Now all I see are off brands some guy probably makes in basement.

Last edited by bkraz; 06-26-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:12 PM

From Autozone, the Duralast Gold or Duralast Gold Cmax should be fine. I wouldn't use the plain Duralast, use either the Gold or Gold Cmax. Then for the rotor, I'd use their Duralast with the 2 year warranty over the Valuecraft with the 1 year.

If you're willing to have shipped from NAPA, since you didn't mention them as being a local option.

I really like NAPA Adaptive One Brake Pads and NAPA Ultra Premium Rotors.

I have them on the front and rear of my Toyota Highlander and am about to put them on the front of my 2007 Accord.

Last edited by drugrep; 07-01-2010 at 02:25 PM.