General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at getting a 98-02.....what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Default looking at getting a 98-02.....what to look for?

I've got a 91 hatch for a daily but would like to sell it sometime soon and am looking at a 4 door 98-02.

I'm leaning towards EX. I want the 4 cyl. I've got a few friends that have/had 98-02's and the CEL is ALWAYS on and the local honda dealer clears teh code, but it comes back days later. Nobody knows what it is, but the cars run fine. any input here?

also, what else should I look for as far as common problems w/ these cars?

I'm pretty in-tune w/ my GP, had it for 9 yrs, so I know what plugs, oil, tranny oil....yadda yadda yadda it needs....but what is recommended for the accord motors?

I know for my GP to NEVER use bosch products....they suck. But do they work ok on honda's? I use NGK plugs in the hatch and ACD's in the GP.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: looking at getting a 98-02.....what to look for?

Hondas like NGK plugs. Stick with the OEM recommended for your car.

The 6th generation accords had tranny problems. I am not sure which years had them, but there are a ton of posts around this forum about them. There is an internal bearing that would break and plug up the fluid passages in the tranny.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Dealer resets the code but doesn't read it??? Take it to Autozone for code reading. Then come here with the actual code number. (Not the counter-guy's description.)

Thetrannyproblems are with automatic trannys. Honda manual trannys are excellent.

Honda automatic trannys don't like to be power-flushed. Drain & fill with genuine Honda ATF, it seems to be different. People have reported bad things using Dexron.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:22 AM

Hondas hate Bosch too. Bosch plugs tend to fry coils.

I would not buy an automatic 98-02 model. Too much of a gamble on the transmission. I love my 5spd though.

In regard to the CEL..... I don't understand how Honda would scan it and not tell him what code it was throwing. As advised, your friend needs to take it to AutoZone and get the codes scanned for free. Then he (or you) needs to post the code number here (it will look like "Pxxxx"). test us out. I bet we can tell you why his CEL keeps coming on if you get us that code

Welcome to the forum! Good luck in your search for an Accord!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:46 AM

Thanks For The Help And Heads Up. I've Never Seen A 6Th Gen Have Trans Problems. The Guys I Know Have Around 200K On Their Accords And No Problems. Another Irritation Of Mine Is The Fact That The 12V Outlet Is Turned On By Acc. Dumb Design There. That Will Be The First Thing I Change. Any Info On That? Thanks.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The code is probably the infamous P0420: Catalyst Emissions Under Threshold or whatever it is. My 99 has had that code for 7 years running. I checked it at Checker the night I bought the car, cleared it, and it came back on the drive home.

I was told by the previous owner that the dealer told them it was expensive to fix, but it wouldn't hurt a thing if they left it. I guess the ECU in the 6th gen is very picky about the difference in readings between the before-cat and after-cat O2 sensors and will throw a CEL if they get too close.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:51 PM

you know....the cat code might be what it is....I remember my friends saying it was an emmisions thing and it was $$$$ to fix and didn't cause a problem.

How would you go about removing a cat on a 6th gen and not throw a code.....is there o2 simulator for the downstream cat?

I cut the one off my 91 hatch and my GP....and mileage increased on both cars.....as well as sesponsiveness. The honda got toooo lound and sounded horrible....like 4 cyls do....so i put a $20 cherry bomb glass pack on and now it is as quiet as it has ever been.

the GP just sounds louder and alot better...I love the sound.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:51 PM

btw, I got $250 for both cats.....It was a nice payday at teh scrap yard.