General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing coolant no leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 11:16 PM
Default Losing coolant no leak?

Hey everyone,

Okay. So, I got a 94 honda accord the other day and the car runs pretty strong I like it. When I first rest drove the car I noticed that the engine coolant was really low but I didn't think anything of it. I got home then filled it to its max but after driving about 150 miles I noticed it dropped about 2 inches almost to the minimum mark. I've been underneath my car twice now since buying it and I cannot find a leak anywhere and I have a pretty good idea on where to look. So I freaked out and thought of the first thing anyone would think who knows anything about cars eating coolant, a head gasket issue.

Well I did 4 tests. First Checked the smell of the exhaust. Wasn't "sweet" as far as I can tell and it wasn't white. Checked the oil, it's clean.
Took the radiatior cap off and turned the car on, no overflowing or coolant shooting into the air.
I even bought an engine block test kit and did the test with the plunger on top of the radiatior cap and then on the coolant reservoir and there was no sign of a chemical reaction or color change.
Oh and not to mention the car has not overheated once or has hinted at overheating.

My mechanic says that just because I passed those tests doesn't exactly mean I'm completely home free from a head gasket issue but he says it's very unlikely.

What else could be the issue? Where is my coolant going? Could my gasket maybe be seeping just a small amount to where one day it will blow?

Thanks guys.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:01 AM
kps
Newest Of Newbies

have you checked floorboard to see if wet? a heater core failure? most cars passenger side.

was overflow tank more full than last time? like its filling & not going back? did you miss getting all air out of system when you filled?

are you saying you pressure tested it & it didnt leak down?

the last garage I worked at we used dyes & a special light black? infrared? to help pinpoint leaks, when we knew there was a leak & maybe minor, we used & usually found the issue, sometimes we would have to drive vehicle several days to find

Old 06-04-2016, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Call you local parts store and verify they have a radiator pressure test kit as a loaner tool. Verify the radiator will hold about 16 psi. Also test the radiator cap to see if it holds up to the pressure stated on the cap.

One thing you didn't mention, when the overflow bottle was low, how full was the radiator? Make sure the radiator is cool when you remove the cap.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the reply, I noticed when the reservoir Is low so is the radiatior under the cap. I will try and get the pressure test kit this weekend

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Call you local parts store and verify they have a radiator pressure test kit as a loaner tool. Verify the radiator will hold about 16 psi. Also test the radiator cap to see if it holds up to the pressure stated on the cap.

One thing you didn't mention, when the overflow bottle was low, how full was the radiator? Make sure the radiator is cool when you remove the cap.