General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost all key fobs

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 06:46 AM
Default Lost all key fobs

Hello all,

I have a 2011 Honda Accord to which yesterday I lost my last key fob and am now using my valet key to lock, unlock, and drive the car (My other key fob was destroyed after years of use and may drops and stepping on etc.).

To my understanding, and a little research I have done, if I want another key fob or two, I have to go to a dealership to do it? Any videos and other articles I have read, show how to program other key fobs only if you have the original fob.

If I don't need the original, can I just get a replacement key fob online through amazon, go to a locksmith to cut the key to match my car valet key, and program it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 06-24-2019, 03:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Barbas210
Hello all,

I have a 2011 Honda Accord to which yesterday I lost my last key fob and am now using my valet key to lock, unlock, and drive the car (My other key fob was destroyed after years of use and may drops and stepping on etc.).

To my understanding, and a little research I have done, if I want another key fob or two, I have to go to a dealership to do it? Any videos and other articles I have read, show how to program other key fobs only if you have the original fob.

If I don't need the original, can I just get a replacement key fob online through amazon, go to a locksmith to cut the key to match my car valet key, and program it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
I think you're stuck having to go to the dealer. The key alone (cut to your VIN) will be 70 to 90 bucks. The key fob, IDK, but probably not cheap. That is of course IF you have a factory alarm system. If it's aftermarket, then all bets are off.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
I think you're stuck having to go to the dealer. The key alone (cut to your VIN) will be 70 to 90 bucks. The key fob, IDK, but probably not cheap. That is of course IF you have a factory alarm system. If it's aftermarket, then all bets are off.

Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case. Thankfully I do still have the factory alarm system, never tampered with that.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Barbas210
Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case. Thankfully I do still have the factory alarm system, never tampered with that.
Just so you know, the key has a chip in it, that's programed at the dealer.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

You don't program the key, it has a chip with some kind of electronic serial #. You program the car to accept the individual keys.

Still, there's more & more locksmiths getting the tools & access to do that programming just like the Honda dealer can.