General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:44 PM
s3recap
Unregistered
Default Loud rattling noise

Well this happened a few months ago. but here we go... MY oil light was on for awhile and when ever i would park in my driveway I started seeing spots. This was after my oil change that my friend did.... im pretty sure we replaced it with the right oil filter because i asked the people at advanced and I bought a K&N. but yea it was leaking and the oil light was on for a couple days. So im only 16 so i thought it wouldnt be a big deal (yea i know im .... stupid) but i eventually added some more oil to it and it was fine but it still leaked like crazy. So when going home one day it started to smoke on my hood while on the highway. I pulled ovver to the side of the road and opened my hood. lots of smoke eventually cleared and i heared a poppin noise like a hose just popped off. and it started leaking antifreeze from the bottem left of my car. so i called up some people and they brought some oil. we waited awhile put more oil in and and it seemed like it just kep ttaking it all. we waiting awhile and it wouldnt turn on. so i got it towed by my friends dads strap. while steering the car while he was pulling i was leaking hella oil all over the street. then we got home and i just put some cardboard boxes under the car and looked at them the next day. lots of oil was on the boxes. so about a week later my moms friend (who works with stuff like this) and my neighbor were looking at my car. hes like go ahead and turn it on. so i did and it made a loud knocking sound, hes like give it some gas, i gave it some gas and it knocked even faster. hes like turn it off. i did and it was a little smokey. he said that my motor was probably about to lock. my neighbor said it was a headgasket because on the side of my motor it was leaking a bit. they both agreed that it was a head gasket also. today i just went back outside and turned it on. it still made the same knocking noise and i turned it off. my friend told me i threw a rod but i think that the rod would actually go threw somthing and you would know. but i wanted opinions from you guys since you specialize in hondas. and by the way its a Honda Accord 1989 DX.

Welcome to the forum: 3 things, add your cars info to your signature, no profanity, and no need to double post...

Old 02-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Default RE: Loud rattling noise

First off we need to locate where the oil is coming from and where the anti-freeze was leaking from. Is it coming out of where the head meets the block or the valve cover? Does your oil look milky at all or is it all still black? when you were adding oil were you checking the oil levels, how much did you put in?

First, stop running the car, that noise isn't good. Second, did it ever overheat?

Old 02-04-2008, 12:59 PM

One other thing, can you get us pictures of where the oil/anti-freeze is leaking from?

Old 02-04-2008, 01:49 PM
s3recap
Unregistered

Yea I can get pictures in about 2 hours ill have them uploaded on here on where the leaks are and etc..

here are the answers to your questions below.

Is it coming out of where the head meets the block or the valve cover?

The pictures wiill show this. i dont know that much about cars but i do know some.

Does your oil look milky at all or is it all still black?
it was black not milky

when you were adding oil were you checking the oil levels, how much did you put in?

yes we checked the oil level before we added more and it was really really really low so we added it until it hit the recoomended line on the dipstick im not sure how much it was

Old 02-04-2008, 02:42 PM

was all the oil leaking out the side of the engine? You were dropping massive amounts just from being towed (it was out of gear or in Neutral right?)?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:58 PM
s3recap
Unregistered

well yea it is from the right side of the motor. i wont be able to get pictures on here until tomorrow so sorry. and yea it was in nuetral