General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Low RPM Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Low RPM Hesitation

Hi,
I have a 1996 Accord LX with a 2.2 4 cyl. non vtec with an auto trans. Car has about 305,000 miles.

the problem is when you press the gas the motor seems to miss or drop for a second before catching up and actually accelerating. it always does this. seems up to about 2500 RPMs it lacks alot of power, but above that it is very strong.

climbing hills it seems to bog down alot and motor gets real loud.

when you hit the gas there is a noise that comes out of the air box that sounds like ths filter is rattling. i recently put in a new filter. it had this problem before this also.

I recently had the EGR system cleaned by a mechanic also because i was getting an EGR low flow code.

thanks alot for any suggestions.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Cleaning both sides of the throttle plate and the bore may help. There is an screen on the IACV that can get plugged up with carbon.

Replace any tune-up items (spark plugs, air filter, distributor cap, distributor rotor).

Maybe the valves need adjusted? Not sure if your mechanic adjusted them when the timing belt was changed.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

From your description it looks like you have spark knock. If so I am only familiar with ignition timing causing it but in theory an EGR that is not working could cause it also.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I recently took off the throttle body and intake manifold and thoroughly cleaned it and installed a new gasket. has a new filter and spark plugs also.

I dont know when the timing belt was changed because ive only had the car a few months. should i go ahead and do that? and how difficult is that to do?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Supper Moderator

To me it sounds like your tranny is giving out. I’m surprised you still have a auto tranny at that many miles. From what you have said I personally think it's your tranny...mine was doing the same thing minus the air box issue be4 my tranny puked on me....does you tranny have any lag between gear changes??

Old 02-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It does it in park as well as neutral. its anytime you hit the gas in any gear. once its reving any higher than idle its real responsive. idle drops when you hit the gas from idle. there is a big loss of power at low rpms

tranny shifts hard. probably harder than it should. but it doesnt lag in shifting

Last edited by HighMileWonder; 02-19-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

alright so i took it into my own hands to clean my egr ports. it seems the mechanic never even did it, because the whole system was completely blocked up.

got it all back together and it ran alot better. then i took my idle air control valve off, which ive cleaned before. it looked pretty good, the screen was clear. i sprayed a little carb cleaner in it to make sure. now its running worse than ever. ive driven about 30 miles since and it hasnt cleared up
im guessing that the idle air control valve is failing which is causing this. it really almost dies when you hit the gas.

should i get a new IACV?

Old 02-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

I would reset the ECU by pulling the 7.5 amp radio/back fuse in the engine bay fuse box for a minute. Plug fuse back in, then start the car let the car warm up to operating temperature without touching the gas (the ecu will relearn the idle).

I have had weird idle problems whenever I remove anything near the throttle body, and that has fixed the problem for me. It is worth a shot.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

pulled that fuse....no luck.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

any other ideas?