General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low steering fluid or brake? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 02:31 AM
Default Low steering fluid or brake? Please help

I checked that my fluid is low but I am not sure if it is my steering fluid of just brake fluid itself so I bought Prestone Synthetic Brake Fluid Dot 3 from Auto Zone. If this is the right kind then where do I pour it in?

I have a Honda Accord 2005 LX SE Coupe.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

don't mix brake fluid with power steering fluid in either system.

The brake system has a vacuum booster that is a black (usually) bulbous disc on the firewall in front of the driver.

But, go back to the auto parts store and ask them to come out and show you
where each fluid is checked / filled up. The staff are used to that, really suggest you do this.

Last edited by UhOh; 11-28-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by UhOh
don't mix brake fluid with power steering fluid in either system.

The brake system has a vacuum booster that is a black (usually) bulbous disc on the firewall in front of the driver.

But, go back to the auto parts store and ask them to come out and show you
where each fluid is checked / filled up. The staff are used to that, really suggest you do this.
They will charge me though right?

Old 01-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

How to check fluid levels is shown in the owner's manual. I attached excerpts from it for the brake fluid reservoir and power steering fluid reservoir.

Generally, unless there is a leak (which isn't common), if the brake fluid level goes down a bit, it may just be due to your brake pads getting worn. When new pads are put back in, then the reservoir level rises. Brake fluid should be changed around every 3 years though, as moisture gets absorbed in the fluid.

Attached Thumbnails Low steering fluid or brake? Please help-checking-brake-fluid.jpg   Low steering fluid or brake? Please help-checking-power-steering-fluid.jpg   Low steering fluid or brake? Please help-honda-power-steering-fluid.jpg  
Old 01-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I know that on the V6 models for model year 2005, the brake fluid reservior is a clearish yellow plastic thing (for lack of a better way to describe it) with a gray or yellowish cap on it. It is mounted on the firewall in front of the driver. In very tiny letters on the cap, it will say "DOT 3 brake fluid only). Thats your brake fluid reservoir. Your power steering reservior is black with a small red cap and is over by the drive belts. I am looking at my owners manual (I also own an 05) and it has a picture showing the locations (page 211 in my manual) If you are not 100% positive, check your owners manual, a repair manual, or take it somewhere. Also, you DO NOT want to over fill your brake reservoir. There is a very hard to see max fill line. DO NOT fill the reservoir to the top.

You worry about paying a few dollars now, but if you put the wrong fluid in the wrong place, you will at the minimum, get as a result very expensive repairs. if you put the wrong fluid in your brake system and your brakes fail, you could hurt or kill someone. Thats way more serious than maybe having to pay someone a few bucks to help you out. Peace of mind can be invaluable.

Last edited by Gray Goat; 01-29-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
How to check fluid levels is shown in the owner's manual. I attached excerpts from it for the brake fluid reservoir and power steering fluid reservoir.

Generally, unless there is a leak (which isn't common), if the brake fluid level goes down a bit, it may just be due to your brake pads getting worn. When new pads are put back in, then the reservoir level rises. Brake fluid should be changed around every 3 years though, as moisture gets absorbed in the fluid.
According to Honda inspection, they said I needed brake job and I know my brake aren't that good especially in rain.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:27 PM

Mine is a V4. I think it is DOT 3, not sure.

Originally Posted by Gray Goat
I know that on the V6 models for model year 2005, the brake fluid reservior is a clearish yellow plastic thing (for lack of a better way to describe it) with a gray or yellowish cap on it. It is mounted on the firewall in front of the driver. In very tiny letters on the cap, it will say "DOT 3 brake fluid only). Thats your brake fluid reservoir. Your power steering reservior is black with a small red cap and is over by the drive belts. I am looking at my owners manual (I also own an 05) and it has a picture showing the locations (page 211 in my manual) If you are not 100% positive, check your owners manual, a repair manual, or take it somewhere. Also, you DO NOT want to over fill your brake reservoir. There is a very hard to see max fill line. DO NOT fill the reservoir to the top.

You worry about paying a few dollars now, but if you put the wrong fluid in the wrong place, you will at the minimum, get as a result very expensive repairs. if you put the wrong fluid in your brake system and your brakes fail, you could hurt or kill someone. Thats way more serious than maybe having to pay someone a few bucks to help you out. Peace of mind can be invaluable.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Your braking performance in the rain may be due to worn tires, etc. If they said you needed a brake job and you are not sure, then get a second opinion at some other shop. Many shops advertise free brake inspections.

Regarding the brake fluid, most parts shops sell DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid (I don't think the earlier DOT brake fluids are even sold anymore). Most current brake fluids are compatible and would not cause an adverse effect even if mixed; so, the part about a different brake fluid causing a brake failure is kind of unlikely.

DOT 5 brake fluid would probably be the exception regarding non-compatibility.

Last edited by redbull-1; 01-30-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Your braking performance in the rain may be due to worn tires, etc. If they said you needed a brake job and you are not sure, then get a second opinion at some other shop. Many shops advertise free brake inspections.

Regarding the brake fluid, most parts shops sell DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid (I don't think the earlier DOT brake fluids are even sold anymore). Most current brake fluids are compatible and would not cause an adverse effect even if mixed; so, the part about a different brake fluid causing a brake failure is kind of unlikely.

DOT 5 brake fluid would probably be the exception regarding non-compatibility.
Good thread levels, rotating tires every 6-8K Miles with balancing, air pressure ok.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:21 PM

So ... which fluid is low ... brake or power steering?

Quick Reply: Low steering fluid or brake? Please help