General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower control arm removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 03:27 PM
DJ NVS
Unregistered
Cool Lower control arm removal

I am attempting in install a new half shaft. I got the old one out, but can not get the new one in. I searched the posts, and the easiest way looks to remove the lower control arm and swing wheel assembly out of the way. How do I get this off??!!?? One stud with bolt. The bolt is off, but will not detach!!!

Please help

Old 12-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

I moved your post to make it a new thread. This one is getting pretty long.

Which side are you having problems installing? The part that goes into the knuckle, the side that goes into the transmission, or both?

Old 12-16-2009, 04:51 PM
DJ NVS
Unregistered

Got it off. There was a video on youtube that had a trick on how to wedge a wrench in with it jacked up. Now I am having a problem getting the new half shaft back in. I can't the the ring in far enough to "click". Any suggestions?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

use the shaft as a slide hammer, when the inner joint bottoms out it should 'hammer' the spline shaft into place.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:28 AM
DJ NVS
Unregistered

It is still about 1/16 gap between the shaft and the tranny. I've tried the sledgehammer idea, but won't go any further. Now I can't get it back out. I don't want to pound too hard and cause damage, but now I'm stuck. Any suggestions?

Old 12-17-2009, 01:41 PM
DJ NVS
Unregistered

Just put it all together. Still have the slight gap. Started it up and no leaks (for now). I plan on keeping a close eye on it for a while. Finishing it up and taking it on a SHORT test drive then check for leaks again. FINGERS CROSSED.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:56 PM
DJ NVS
Unregistered

IT LEAKS!!!!!!!!! I give up!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 04:32 PM
u2nv
Unregistered

It may be leaking due to bad seal. but if seal isnt bad and its due to your shaft not being in all the way take it back apart and were the big nut is on wheel end of shaft reinstall nut as tho not to damage threads while hitting end with hammer. push shaft in to take out all play in cv bearing joints and hit large nut area to drive it in. if it still dont go in easy. take all the way out and the c clip that retains shaft put a little assembly grease on it with opening pointed down and try to center best as possible. then put shaft back in and hammer into place (try not to disturb c clip out of allighnment). hope this helps. mark

Old 12-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If the shaft has a C clip on the end(trans side) see if you damaged it and replace if necessary.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

I remember that I had a hell of a time putting the cv joint back into the transmission. The snap ring that you are trying to lock into place might need greased to help it slide in.

I remember that I held on to the inner cv joint with my hands and pushed my legs against the wall to get enough leverage to get it to snap into place. It was not fun.

Here is another thread dealing with that issue:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=20950

Quick Reply: Lower control arm removal