General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Shift WONT Go Into Gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:13 AM
Default Manual Shift WONT Go Into Gear

Hi Everyone,

I was driving on the freeway the other day and I was getting on the onramp, so I went to shift.

Low and behold, I wasn't able to, and eventually the car started to lose speed (cuz I couldn't shift).

PROBLEM: Car will start once I step down on clutch, HOWEVER it will not let me go into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th OR even Reverse.

When the car is turned OFF, I can move my shifter.

I've replaced the Clutch Master Cylinder.

SHOULD I replace the Slave Cylinder?

What could be the problem as to WHY I CANT SHIFT MY GEARS?

Can anyone help or advise???

TIA!

Old 08-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check whether slave cylinder is fully extending when clutch is engaged?

Are you losing clutch fluid?

If slave cylinder is fully extending, then clutch may be dragging due to failed pressure plate and/or clutch plate, making shifting impossible at speed. New clutch/pressure plate required.

good luck

Old 08-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Have someone pump the clutch pedal up & down. The slave cylinder piston (and throw-out lever) should move back & forth about 12mm.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:25 AM

I installed a new Slave Cylinder.

It had a white piece over the piston with two white straps holding it down. It said not to remove the straps, so I didn't.

I installed the SC in, went to pump the clutch. It went straight to the floor. Bled it......

BUT....

the piston never extended out.

WHAT DID I DO WRONG?

I've pumped and pumped and pumped the clutch (wasn't building up pressure), and the piston thingy on the SC never popped out (guessing cuz the white plastic straps were holding it???)

PLEASE HELP!

I'm a girl....clutch is something I've never had to fix. I'm trying to do my best here to learn this clutch thing.

ANY HELP would be appreciate!

TIA! (Thanks In Advance!)

Old 08-08-2013, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Clutches are not my forte; however, the following info. may help you.

Since you replaced the slave cylinder and there is no pedal pressure, it probably needs to be bled more. See this link regarding something similar:

http://www.justanswer.com/honda/5fvi...cylinders.html

I included a Honda TSB with the steps for bleeding (step # 17, 18, 19 and 20). It's the same as the service manual; but, has larger and clearer pictures. You can disregard some of the other items in the TSB, as they are not necessarily applicable for what you're doing.

Honda TSB 98-084

Last edited by redbull-1; 08-08-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
Old 08-09-2013, 02:17 PM

--Clutch got good pressure once I kept pumping it and pumping it....the two white plastic straps over the piston on the Slave Cylinder didn't break off tho ??
--After pumping clutch for a good 15 mins or so, it got pressure....shifter would still not go into ANY gears....
--Turned engine off, moved shifter into all gears (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and Reverse) and it went into them fine...
--Left shift into 1st gear and started car.....car lunged forward.....then pedel felt like it lost some pressure....
--Turned off engine, and clutch pedal got pressure back in it again.....is that normal???
--Check fluid levels.....made sure no bubbles were in lines....
--Pumped and pumped and pumped again...to double check, bled S.C. again and no bubbles...
--Started engine up, and pressure on pedal was not as tight (as when engine was off), and shifter STILL WOULD NOT go into gear.

Could the throw-out bearing be toast???

If so, can I fix this problem myself?

I'm willing to learn to do so, if someone can give me a good shop manual on how to replace the throw-out bearing. I have a friend that works in a machine shop and he said he would resurface my plates if it needed it???

He resurfaced my rotors on my brakes when I had changed them out last time.

I'm a girl....and I don't mind working on my car....I'm NOT afraid to get dirty. I'm NOT a tomboy. I just don't have the fund to take a car to the mechanic esp if I can fix it myself.

If any of you guys are willing to share a good shop manual to help me resolve my problem, I'd really really appreciate it.

My friend said that he's willing to offer his machinist services to help resurface rotors, plates, flywheel, etc,.....if someone could help me out with "HOW TO" on my car with manual....etc.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

The "straps" you talk about have me wondering - PIC please? I'm thinking - it is early for me - that once installed they come off, only there to hold the piston in while in the box.

Once we clear that up, I'm still with bleeding - the clutch system is one of the hardest things to bleed.

Again - this sounds like a slave cyl issue - don't worry with the bearing and that just yet.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

I'm also curious about the straps. If those are just temporary for holding the piston until it's installed, then they should be removed before you do the bleeding, right?

Old 08-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

The plastic retaining straps come on some slave cylinders (see attached Honda illustration). They suppose to release with the stroke of the pedal and are meant to be part of the slave cylinder. This same picture is part of the service manual and TSB I linked above.

Here is an aftermarket supplier describing the straps.

http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedi..._176_us_us.pdf

Attached Thumbnails Manual Shift WONT Go Into Gear-slave-cylinder.jpg  

Quick Reply: Manual Shift WONT Go Into Gear