General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Tranny Blown?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 07:37 PM
DerekD
Unregistered
Default Manual Tranny Blown?

A friend ofmy wifehas a '93 Accord with the 2.2L and manual transmission. Last winter he burnt out the clutch (friction material was completely shredded) trying to pull his other Honda out of the ditch in the snow. He couldn't find anyone to help him replace it so I agreed to do it...he has medical problems and very little money.

I pulled the trans out and put in a new flywheel, disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. Got it all back together Sunday night and fired it up and he wanted to take it for a short spin. He moved it out of the garage and to the road and then hit the gears fairly hard turning onto the highway. Didn't make it past his house before something broke. Total trip was maybe 100 yards. Now it doesn't matter what gear you put the car in...it won't move or even try to. Also, with the car running and NOT touching the clutch you can put the shifter in the forward gears with no noises. I also noticed that with the shifter in each gear the speedo reads just like it would on ice (registers speed even though the car isn't moving). I checked the shifter linkage and it is working ok, the slave cylinder is working and the shift fork is moving like it should, and both halfshafts are still in the tranny. I think he broke the input shaft or something like that. Does that seem correct or is there another issue I'm not thinking of?

Thanks,

Derek

Old 10-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Manual Tranny Blown?

I would first check to be sure an axle hasn't popped out of the differential.
There is a ring on the shaft of the inner CV joint, it might not have fully seated in the groove inside the diff.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:24 PM
DerekD
Unregistered

Thanks for the help, that was it. I'd given them a tug when I slipped them both in so I didn't think it was the problem...but it was. Now he just needs to save up the money for tags and a battery!

Derek

Old 11-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: DerekD

Thanks for the help, that was it...

Derek
Congrats for the DUde.

And thanks for telling us. Lot of times we NEVER find out which of our suggestions turns out to be good.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:59 AM
unR8ted
Unregistered

that almost sounds like the same problem im having but mine don't "(registers speed even though the car isn't moving)". thats the only thing different.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Outstanding response by Hondadude.

That must have been some sweet feeling to fix a problem that really looked bad w/ a simple re-installation of the CV axle.

Regards