General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Manual trans not engaging after master cylinder change

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:30 AM
FindingThePath
Unregistered
Default Manual trans not engaging after master cylinder change

I have a 90 Accord EX. The initial problem was that the clutch was starting to get hard to shift into gear and the next morning the pedal went to the floor. I noticedhydraulic fluid running down from the clutch pedal. So I replaced the leaky master cylinder, the slave cylinder, and the hydraulic line going from the master cylinder to the clutch damper assy (I stripped the nut going to the master). After replacing those, I bled the system and the pedal is now at normal height and also feels right. However my shifter moves in all slots without pushing the clutch pedal and is not engaging. I am not a mechanic. Any help will be appreciated. I'm hoping it is an adjustment somewhere and I don't have to open the transmission.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:39 AM
Default RE: Manual trans not engaging after master cylinder change

For Starters I'd lift up the shift boot and make sure the cables are still attached and that they move with the shifter, if they are and they do move then go into the engine bay, look for the cables coming through the wall (car doesn't need to be running for this if it will go into every slot without the clutch depresed) make sure those cables move, trace them to the tranny and make sure the piece on top of the tranny is moving, if all of that seems functional then let us know....

Old 05-31-2007, 10:52 AM
FindingThePath
Unregistered

Thank you Sir for the quick reply. I'm at work now and won't be able to check it until I get home. I'll report back what find out then.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:14 PM
FindingThePath
Unregistered

I lifted the boot and the cables are connected there and move with the shifter. Also, when the shifter is moved, so is the piece on the transmission.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Have you checked that the slave cylinder is moving the clutch release fork when the clutch is pressed? If there is no clutch release, the synchros prevent gears to engage. It feels "blocked". Air can sometimes be difficult to remove from slave cylinder.

good luck

Old 06-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

double chk all that you replaced to make sure it is installed properly if all ok,, most likely you did not bleed system properly ,, at times it takes a while to bleed the system properly,, rebleed it again and see if that helps ..
go to DIY section there is a write up ..