General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Metal dragging sound

Old 11-29-2018, 09:41 AM
Default Metal dragging sound

My new 2018 Accord has a weird metal scraping/dragging sound I've been trying to locate but with no luck. I did some searching here, and tried some things, but no luck either. Has been to the dealer and they said it was stones in the brake shield. Didn't solve the problem.

2018 Accord Hybrid
The sound ...
- sounds like metal dragging on the ground coming from the drivers rear wheel
- not a high pitched squeal typical of worn brakes
- very random and hard to predict, sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't
- doesn't matter when vehicle is hot or cold ... could happen when backing out of driveway after sitting all day, or on the freeway after the car has warmed up

Old 11-29-2018, 01:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by mlluxarch
My new 2018 Accord has a weird metal scraping/dragging sound I've been trying to locate but with no luck. I did some searching here, and tried some things, but no luck either. Has been to the dealer and they said it was stones in the brake shield. Didn't solve the problem.

2018 Accord Hybrid
The sound ...
- sounds like metal dragging on the ground coming from the drivers rear wheel
- not a high pitched squeal typical of worn brakes
- very random and hard to predict, sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't
- doesn't matter when vehicle is hot or cold ... could happen when backing out of driveway after sitting all day, or on the freeway after the car has warmed up
About the only thing I could think of is maybe the rear drum brake (parking brake) is dragging due to rust. This can happen IF you get a lot of rain, and the car gets parked over night, or all day while at work. And if it's happening in the morning, your dealer wouldn't see it by the time you drove the car to them.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:41 PM

I bing use the parking brake. Can is new. Less than 2000 miles. Has been doing this on and off since delivery

Old 11-29-2018, 02:42 PM

Don’t use the parking brake it should say

Old 11-29-2018, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

From the parts drawings, it looks like the parking brake uses the caliper pads & rotor, not a little drum brake inside the rotor. So it's like all other disk-brake Hondas I'm familiar with. What that means, is it's the same pads & rotors that the foot brake uses. No matter whether you use the parking brake or not.
...which doesn't help figure out the problem - only it's not the parking brake.

Your description does sound like a stone going around between the rotor & the splash shield, so why didn't that fix it? Sounds travel around funny ways, so maybe check the other rear wheel in case it has a stone in there also.

Keep bugging the dealer; at least the problem is documented and they know it isn't fixed yet.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
From the parts drawings, it looks like the parking brake uses the caliper pads & rotor, not a little drum brake inside the rotor. So it's like all other disk-brake Hondas I'm familiar with. What that means, is it's the same pads & rotors that the foot brake uses. No matter whether you use the parking brake or not.
...which doesn't help figure out the problem - only it's not the parking brake.

Your description does sound like a stone going around between the rotor & the splash shield, so why didn't that fix it? Sounds travel around funny ways, so maybe check the other rear wheel in case it has a stone in there also.

Keep bugging the dealer; at least the problem is documented and they know it isn't fixed yet.
Well Jim, I'm not up on newer Hondas, but I've worked on some over the years. My daughter in laws Pilot has a drum brake inside the rear rotor. While my son's Civic Si has a cable operated lever for it's rear disc brake caliper for the parking brake. I didn't know which version his car has. It might very well be another stone caught between the rotor and dust shield.