General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

misfire on all cylinders help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

The Check Engine Light staying on indicates a problem in the ECM/PCM circuit.

Hopefully, it is just a glitch due to the remote start, Immobilizer, and ECM/PCM.

Since you couldn't clear it with the code reader, try this: Disconnect both battery cables from the battery. Wait 30 seconds or more. Then touch the two cables together for another 30 seconds or so, to drain any residual power in the system, it's kind of a reset. You can use another wire in between the two cables to make it easier to reach. (DO NOT accidentally touch the battery terminals.)

If the codes remain after that, re-attempt to clear the codes with your code reader.

You will need the CODE for your radio afterward.

Good luck.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

i wonder if the remote start is interupting the signal to the ecm somehow...i'd guess that had to fiddle with the computer to put the remote start set-up in??? don't really know...i'm less than enthusiastic about aftermarket alarms and other electronic stuff in modern cars...

Old 06-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok so i took it back to the place and they took it completely out and checked and everything and reinstalled. the guy had an expensive code reader like the dealers and said he actually found a few more codes such as low battery at pcm and he said something about pcm connection. well i got back in the car and now the triangle with the ! which is traction control light is on i told them and he said he has no idea and ill have to take it to dealer which is bs because it wasnt on before. as i was driving home the tcs light came on as well. could there be a problem with the computer? I dont really want to pay so much and taking it to the dealer i can see the prices now. anyone any ideas? and thanks for the help

Old 06-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Then it could be due to the car battery and/or alternator. Go to an autopart shop and get the battery and alternator tested.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

That would cause the traction control light?

Old 06-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Low voltage can cause strange problems.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok ill call to see if pep boys is open tomorrow. Rather not take it off and bring to autozone

Old 06-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Low electrical power will sometimes make the ECM/PCM set trouble codes for signal errors or loss of communication or think there are other problems. The clue was when you said the guy found more trouble codes and then later your TCS light came on. It is more prevalent on these later generation Hondas with more electronics and sensor signals going through the different control units your car has which then get transmitted to the ECM/PCM.

There's been other threads on this and other forums of people with similar problems that were due to either the battery and/or the alternator.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Totally understandable im crossing my fingers. Love the car and you guys are very helpful. Once i get this down i can move on to other stuf for it.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Please let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: misfire on all cylinders help