General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Misfiring

Old 10-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Question Misfiring

Our 2010 Accord EXL V6 went to the shop yesterday for a misfiring problem. 48k miles. Software and all six spark plugs replaced. Anyone else having this problem? Any other problems we should be aware of in our future? Love this car and haven't had any issues up 'til now. It's our first Honda which we bought because of the history of reliability.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

For the 8th generation (2008-2012) Accord V6 with automatics, there have been reports of one or more spark plug fouling. The piston rings on certain cylinders may rotate and align which can lead to spark plug fouling. This can set Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0301 through P0304 and cause the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) to come on. Previous fix attempt was to change affected spark plugs and update PCM software.

2008-2012 Accord V6 with Automatic Transmission – Powertrain warranty extension due to class action lawsuit settlement. Powertrain warranty extended to 8 year with unlimited mileage from the original date of purchase. The warranty extension does not apply to any vehicle that has ever been declared a total loss or sold for salvage by a financial institution or insurer, or has a branded or similar title under any state’s law.

Part of the class action lawsuit for the 8th generation Accord V6 was due to the misfire issue, the other issue was due to oil consumption.

Under the extended powertrain warranty; if applicable, they will inspect the vehicle and, if necessary, clean the pistons, and replace the piston rings in the affected cylinders.

The car may eventually have a few other issues like every car make and model year. However, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll encounter them.

Unless, you got one of the first 9 2010 Accords (there were 9 early production 2010; VIN 000001 thru 000009 that still had the old rear caliper and brake pad design); you shouldn't have the early wear issue with the rear brake pads like on some earlier 8th generation Accords. Your 2010 Accord probably already have Honda's new revised rear brake calipers and rear brake pad design and material.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:19 AM

Thank you so much for your reply! When you say "previous fix attempt", does that mean the software update and spark plug change we had done will not fix the problem? Also, do we need to do anything to implement the 8-year powertrain warranty extension, or is it automatic?

Old 10-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Many times changing the affected spark plugs and PCM software update takes care of the problem. However, some people have it recur and/or may have other underlying issues.

Owners will be probably be notified of the lawsuit settlement later in some shape or form. If your car is eligible with a VIN status check, the extended warranty will take effect. Currently, inquiries about the settlement are directed to Honda’s Automobile Customer Service.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:24 PM

Thank you, again!

Old 06-29-2015, 05:14 PM

my 2008 has had repeated problems with this. There was a lawsuit over the variable cylinder (6 4 0r 3) and Honda replaced 3 rings at their cost. This was a year or so ago and its doing it again. Hate to tell you but its probably the same thing. I will not buy a 6 cyl. again. Consumers still loves the 4.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Default Honda giving hard time to fix misfire

I recently took my car to the mechanic because the check engine light came on and he said that it was a misfire in one of the spark plugs and when he was inspecting my car he also noticed there wasn't oil. I found that weird because I just changed my oil one month to the day from when he told me about the problem. Also I changed the spark plugs and coil just one year ago. Long story short I heard about the misfire problem by doing some research and the oil consumption problem also. According to the class action suit it says "any and all 2010 Honda Accords V6 with the VCM 2" So i thought I had a clear cut case to get my car fixed but when I went to a Gillman Honda of Fort Bend (outside of Houston) they told me my car wasn't covered so I called American Honda from there (they weren't willing to let me use their phone to call Honda from there when I told them I get bad reception in the area they told me "phone was for business use" So I used my phone to call them and they said my cars Vin didn't qualify under the settlement but reading the settlement it says any and all which should be clear cut but they refused to fix it. So I drove to Dallas and took it to the dealership I bought the car from and told them my car is under the settlement they looked it up and agreed to fix it no questions asked. My question to you is I never got any notice about the class action lawsuit and when I tried to get my car fixed they were trying to say it's vin specific. Do you think that they never sent me notice of the class action because my vin didn't apply ? Then why does the final settlement say any and all". Do you think there are others that this has happened to? Why did Gillman Honda refuse to fix it and American Honda also say same thing but John Eagle Honda did it with no questions asked? Please let me know what you think about this issue.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by jmich

I recently took my car to the mechanic because the check engine light came on and he said that it was a misfire in one of the spark plugs and when he was inspecting my car he also noticed there wasn't oil. I found that weird because I just changed my oil one month to the day from when he told me about the problem. Also I changed the spark plugs and coil just one year ago. Long story short I heard about the misfire problem by doing some research and the oil consumption problem also. According to the class action suit it says "any and all 2010 Honda Accords V6 with the VCM 2" So i thought I had a clear cut case to get my car fixed but when I went to a Gillman Honda of Fort Bend (outside of Houston) they told me my car wasn't covered so I called American Honda from there (they weren't willing to let me use their phone to call Honda from there when I told them I get bad reception in the area they told me "phone was for business use" So I used my phone to call them and they said my cars Vin didn't qualify under the settlement but reading the settlement it says any and all which should be clear cut but they refused to fix it. So I drove to Dallas and took it to the dealership I bought the car from and told them my car is under the settlement they looked it up and agreed to fix it no questions asked. My question to you is I never got any notice about the class action lawsuit and when I tried to get my car fixed they were trying to say it's vin specific. Do you think that they never sent me notice of the class action because my vin didn't apply ? Then why does the final settlement say any and all". Do you think there are others that this has happened to? Why did Gillman Honda refuse to fix it and American Honda also say same thing but John Eagle Honda did it with no questions asked? Please let me know what you think about this issue.
Hmm... This is good to know... I have a very similar situation with my 2010 Honda Accord V6 EX-L (cylinder misfiring) but I did not know about the class action suit. I may have to take it to the dealership and ask about it. I will be prepared to push if they refuse to service it. Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by jmich
Then why does the final settlement say any and all". Do you think there are others that this has happened to? Why did Gillman Honda refuse to fix it and American Honda also say same thing but John Eagle Honda did it with no questions asked? Please let me know what you think about this issue.
If I had to make a guess, it's that Gillman didn't want to do it, as they didn't think they would get reimbursed for the tech to remove your engine, tear it down, and rebuild it. John Eagle knew you bought the car from them, so they wanted to make you a happy camper, figuring it might lead to a new car sale down the road.