General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing air tube???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Default Missing air tube???

Hi everyone,

Last week I accidentally drove my car over some rough terrain which unfortunately scraped the front passenger's side fairly badly. A portion of the front bumper cover (the part right beneath the headlight) was ripped off. I initially thought the damage was only cosmetic but then I found two pieces of tubing that came off the bottom of the car. They look to be part of the air intake system but I'm not sure. Further inspection revealed that whatever was connected to the air filter box from the bottom is now missing. I have attached a picture here of the two said pieces (they seem to fit into together). Could anyone please tell me what they are and what sort of trouble I'm in?

Thank you so much!!

P.S. The car appears to drive fine but does idle a bit rough if the headlights and electric windows are used at the same time. I'm guessing there isn't enough air going into the engine.

Attached Thumbnails Missing air tube???-20130211_103034.jpg  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

They were parts of the resonator chamber. The car should run okay without it, just a little louder.

Attached Thumbnails Missing air tube???-air-intake-tube-assy.-b.jpg   Missing air tube???-resonator-chamber-456835.jpg  
Old 02-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Check the other part against this picture of the air duct to the throttle body. Your photo doesn't look squared-off like this, but it might be some artistic license in the parts drawings.

I don't buy the story of "not enough air going into the engine". Sounds like there might be additional damage. The idle control system uses a kind of ammeter (ELD) built into the fusebox. Look for damage. The system then uses the IACV (bolted to the backside of the intake manifold) to hold the idle steady. Look for parts of the wiring harness pulled apart??

Attached Thumbnails Missing air tube???-2002-4cyl-air-cleaner.jpg  

Last edited by JimBlake; 02-11-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 AM

Thank you both (redbull-1 & JimBlake) so much for your help. I started getting concerned when I saw that something was missing underneath the air cleaner. I might take it to a local mechanic and have the pieces put back since they're reasonably intact.

This probably calls for new thread but just a quick question since it is related: as I need a new front bumper cover, do you guys know where to get one cheap? I found one on amazon.com (just primer) for ~$85. A local body shop asks for $150 to paint it. I may try to put it on myself.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't have a shop manual, think about it. Very useful in finding hidden fasteners and believe me, Honda is pretty creative in hiding those stupid things.

Parts drawings aren't nearly so good, but here goes...
www dot hondaautomotiveparts dot com
click PARTS
put in your car's information
category would be BUMPER

Check whether all the little parts are still present & accounted for.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:01 PM

Thank you, JimBlake. I'm not mechanically inclined so I'll probably take your advice and have it done at the shop. Being a grad student doesn't give me much room to be generous with me car, though. Thanks again. Greatly appreciate your help!