General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Does the Air Induction Tube Do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Question What Does the Air Induction Tube Do?

So, I was having a problem with my 95 Honda Accord dropping it's RPM to zero and simply stalling out. It would start right back up after about 30 seconds, but the engine would completely stop and the lights and ac would stay on.

I took it to the mechanic and he called me this morning and said that I had a broken air induction tube and that he thinks that's why it's been dying.

Does anyone know if this sounds right? Would a break in an air induction tube cause my car to intermittently die and start again? Any help would be much appreciated...I just want to make sure I'm not paying for something that won't fix anything.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think a broken intake tube would cause that. But maybe it means there's a bunch of things out-of-sorts in the engine compartment. General tune-up stuff might need to be done first just so that doesn't confuse the diagnosing.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I don't think a broken intake tube would cause that. But maybe it means there's a bunch of things out-of-sorts in the engine compartment. General tune-up stuff might need to be done first just so that doesn't confuse the diagnosing.
Really? Well, that sucks...I was hoping that would fix the problem.

Twice while driving down the highway (Last Friday and this past Tuesday) the RPM drops to zero while I'm going 70 and I have all the lights on the dash come on and the engine isn't running. I've had to pull over and wait about thirty seconds and then it starts back up again.

Then on Wednesday night, I was going 10 miles per hour in a parking lot and it did it. I took it in yesterday and the mechanic said it died on him once while he was running tests and told me that he's pretty positive the "Air induction tube" being broken was why the car was doing that.

So there's no chance that the air induction tube being broken is why my car would stall or you just don't think it's likely?

Old 08-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i have never seen an air intake tube cause a dying issue ,,sounds more like a bad coil or igniter issue ..you might want to repair the tube ( duct tape if possible ) so debris and dust won't enter the throttle body
i would have to assume that the shop working on the car DOES NOT specialize on Hondas , find a shop that does that or go to the dealer in none available in your area

when car dies and won't restart , chk if it is getting spark and or fuel..

Old 08-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Supper Moderator

I have to back Jim and Desert on this one. A break in the intake tube WILL NOT cause your dyeing prob. not at all.
Now if your intake was blocked by something then yes I could see that creating your prob. You engine needs 3 main things to run. Air Fuel and Spark. When one of thos fails so does your engine.

Last edited by g22cd5; 08-13-2010 at 01:25 PM.