General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Morning or First start of the day engine sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Default Morning or First start of the day engine sound

Hi all, In the first1-2 minutes the engine sounds fine then 3-5 minutes the kack, kack sounds like no oil or no radiotor fluid. When the car gets warm later about 6-7 it sounds normal again. That kack kack sound is kind of loud to me. The machanic told me that's normal for an old car because of oil is not distributed through out the engine. Is it true? any idea or recommendations ? Thanks

Old 02-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Morning or First start of the day engine sound

No idea what you are talking about.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:38 PM

Could be a weak bimetal spring in the t-stat.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:03 PM

Sounds to me like the normal Honda piston slap. The pistons are a little smaller than the bore when they are cold and this it typically more noticeable during the winter months. After the engine gets completely warmed up, this sound stops because the pistons have expanded from the heat. It is particularly important to be easy on the engine during this stage of warm up. After it is all warmed up you are good to go. This happens on my 4cyl Accord and my 6cyl Odyssey. It is nothing to worry about unless you regularly thrash your car when it is cold.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:58 PM

ORIGINAL: MikeT

Sounds to me like the normal Honda piston slap. The pistons are a little smaller than the bore when they are cold and this it typically more noticeable during the winter months. After the engine gets completely warmed up, this sound stops because the pistons have expanded from the heat. It is particularly important to be easy on the engine during this stage of warm up. After it is all warmed up you are good to go. This happens on my 4cyl Accord and my 6cyl Odyssey. It is nothing to worry about unless you regularly thrash your car when it is cold.
Any fix, recommendation at all? to warm car up every morning 8-10 minutes it's kind of long dont yout think? I would like to repair if it can be repair at all. Thanks

Old 02-23-2008, 05:08 PM

No, there isn't any repair necessary.

First, you don't need to warm up you car for 8-10 minutes, all you need to do is drive it a little easy for this time period. Usually, if you live in a subdivision, by the time you are getting out on the main road you are probably already to that warm up period. There isn't a fix because that is just the way the engines are made.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:13 PM

Just came back from the shop and decided that I will leave the car next friday night sothe machanic can really listen to the noise the next morning. I'll be there to point out the noise. I want to make sure that nothing bad will happen to the car. Thanks for all the infos and hope that it's the honda thing. I'll report back. Thanks

Old 02-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: sthavorn

Hi all, In the first1-2 minutes the engine sounds fine then 3-5 minutes the kack, kack sounds like no oil or no radiotor fluid. When the car gets warm later about 6-7 it sounds normal again. That kack kack sound is kind of loud to me. The machanic told me that's normal for an old car because of oil is not distributed through out the engine. Is it true? any idea or recommendations ? Thanks
Possibly a bit of lifter noise? Try running some rislone in it the next oil change.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:30 AM

Yes, please get back to us because we would like to know what you find out.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca
Possibly a bit of lifter noise? Try running some rislone in it the next oil change.
I dont mind using rislone every oil change, is it the best on the market? Any other brand or better?
I will report back March 2nd what the mechanic has to say, by the way he used to work at Mercedez, honda, now at toyota dealer. Also I have to leave my car at his over night. So he can hear that noise in the morning.Thanks

Quick Reply: Morning or First start of the day engine sound