General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"motor" racing sound, not engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:48 AM
Default "motor" racing sound, not engine

Greetings; this is my first post, and I apologize if this problem is covered already-- but I haven't found it.

My "L registration" (British speak for 1993-94) Honda Accord, Auto trans, 1995cc made a new and very weird sound this morning. As I was driving 5-10 mph along a long driveway, a loud revving sound kicked in; I don't believe this was the engine, as speed, etc. was unaffected. This continued for a few minutes, then vanished. It happened again as I was pulling in to my parking space.

I am completely stumped, but then I am certainly no car expert. My first guesses are something amiss with the starter motor, or (God help me) the transmission.
Thanks for your help!
--Bill

Old 01-08-2013, 03:03 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

One thought is the cooling fans for the radiator can come on automatically.
Since it's new sound, you might check the rad coolant level and make sure it's full.

welcome

Old 01-08-2013, 05:37 AM

Thanks! This is possible, but the sound seemed to come from the middle of the car, unless it was just some sympathetic vibration along the frame. I'm worried it could be the transmission... the cooling fan would be a relief, if that were the problem. It seemed too loud for it to be the cooling fan, though...

Old 01-08-2013, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Coming from the middle of the car, you might want to check out your exhaust system for loose/rattling heat shields. Or maybe even an exhaust leak that changes as the engine flexes in its mounts (on-power vs off-power).

Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

i'm with jim, sounds exhaust related.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Leaking ABS modulator makes a buzzing sound and can be intermittent. If no ABS, this is eliminated.

good luck

Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 AM

It's happened a few more times now, and I think it's Automatic Transmission-related. [DAMN!] It sounds like it is coming from the area of the car below the stick shift (guess that's what I meant by "middle" of the car) and always when the car is stopped or going 5-15 mph. It kicked in while I was waiting at a red light yesterday, and the car shuddered a bit; when it goes away, it sounds like it's revving and fading (in volume) at the same time. Weird. Of course, I'm a diy no-nothing, so I could be SO wrong...

Old 01-12-2013, 10:12 AM

PS== just to say, I'm living in London, but I'm an American; so I get as confused by the different Brit terminology for car parts as y'all do: "cam belt" for timing belt, let alone the boot and bonnet :-)

Old 01-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

My first thought was the same as TexasHonda's. Does this accord have anti-lock brakes?

Old 01-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

The transmission in accords is in the engine bay so if it is truely coming from under the "gear lever" it should sound like its coming from under the "bonnet".

I would take the following steps to correct the problem:

1-Sell accord
2-Buy Nissan Skyline since they are legal there.

Quick Reply: "motor" racing sound, not engine