General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor work

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 01:42 AM
Default Motor work

Ok I picked up a 1997 honda accord 5 speed the other day for $500

Lets see if we can fix the motor if not i'll just swap it out.

My friend that I got it from said he hydro locked the other . Not sure what motor is in it . I know it's a d series havnt got out there to check yet. He says he was driving the car and hit a water puddle out here in florida after a storm . Car died . so he doesn't know alot about cars he says the start went out as well when it happened. So him and his step dad took the value cover off fuel rail and started to undo the heads . He thinks one of two things is wrong either heads warped or hydro locked the motor . So when he hit the puddle he said water got into the motor from the cold air intake . Since he had the timing marked and the timing belt off . We can turn the motor over a little but it wants to stick a little at a point . Not sure if that is normal or not. What do you all think wrong with the motor .I'm thinking it could be a easy fix.I know a good bit about honda civics so alot of the stuff is the same my problem is never ran into this problem before.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

first thing you should do is check compression (put timing belt on), if it's good across the board, then move on to checking other things, ignition, fuel delivery etc...

Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If head bolts have been loosened, you must go ahead w/ head gasket replacment to reuse engine. If engine won't turn over, valves have hit pistons and jammed. Hydro-lock might stop engine and cause timing belt to slip. There could also be crankshaft or connecting rod damage.

Pulling the head should allow engine to be turned over and examined, but the description does not sound promising.

good luck

Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Ah, missed the "loosened head bolt" statement....what he said

Old 08-25-2012, 01:49 AM

Ok i'll see if there is any damage to the rods and stuff. How much do yall think a used motor be this one has 120k on it .

Old 08-25-2012, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Used engines can vary in price rather significantly; it all depends upon the demand in your area, the number of miles on the car when the engine was pulled, and sometimes the mood of the seller.

My recommendation would be to find another 1997(ish) Accord in a bone yard and buy not only the motor but the entire factory intake as well; that way you can lose the CAI which didn't do squat for performance and which caused the problem in the first place.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:06 AM

Ok so I got the car into my workshop today. It's a f22b2 motor . I took it down to the block . One problem I did have is I had to take the intake and head off together they won't come apart any help there. There is no hole in the piston so they are good there was a very little bit of water on top of the block but what I did find was a **** ton of oil in it . SO does that mean the head gasket is blown only or the motor is toast.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

A few comments:
  • What you probably found in the oil sump is a combination of oil and coolant, hence the high level.
  • There is no way of knowing if your motor is toast based upon what you've told us so far.
  • The best way to discover the condition of the lower end of your motor would be to pull the oil pan and have a look-see at the rods; if they're all straight and the bearings have no slop in them, they you're probably good to go.
  • If you don't want to pull the pan, drain the crap in the oil sump, add say three quarts of oil, and turn the engine over by hand. If you feel any sticking points and/or see any asymmetry in how the pistons move, the lower end was probably damaged.