General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcraft FL810 oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 02:49 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Motorcraft FL810 oil filter?

Does anyone know what the model # for Motorcraft oil filter for a 96 Accord EX is?

I found a site that says it's FL810 ... but there is very little info on this model, and the local auto store lookup guide states there is no Motorcraft filter that fits my car.

Thanks. John

Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

that's what google is for.

good luck

Old 10-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
that's what google is for.

good luck
Yes, that's what Google is for ... maybe I wasn't clear when I said "I found a site that says it's FL810 ... but there is very little info on this model". Internet search is always my first step in researching a part or procedure, followed by forum questions.

I really can't find much of anything on this filter for the Accords, but a youtube video showed they were pretty good quality. I can get them from JCWhitney for $4.25 right now with free shipping ... sounds like a bargain provided they're the right ones.

So, if anyone has used a Motorcraft filter for their mid-90's accord, or has found a site or lookup guide that shows the FL810 is the correct model # for the Accord, please post.

Thanks. John

Old 10-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Why the obsession with the FL810; it is at best and adequate filter, nothing more.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Do you have recommendations for something better at a reasonable price?

I watched several videos of people cutting open filters to see what's inside. What I saw:

* Fram, Microguard, AC Delco, Bosch, Walmart brand all had paper ends on the filter element, and were thought to be of the lowest quality of the filters out there.

* Hastings and Motorcraft had steel ends, good quality backflow preventer, and were at a reasonable price.

* Many other brands (Napa, Wix, etc) very good quality but 2x or 3x the price.

I found hastings for around $7, but Motorcraft for just over $4.

If there are other filters that are good quality for $4-5 I would be interested in hearing about them. But in order to get a specific response you generally have to provide a specific topic on your thread. Since I had locked in a good price on the Motorcraft I wanted to check opinions from the forum on that one first.

Maybe I should have renamed the thread to "Best oil filter for $5 or less?"

Old 10-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

I routinely see the Bosch 3312 (which sports a hybrid natural/synthetic media for superior filtering consistency compared to the cellulose filter media of the Motorcraft filter) for around the $5.00 price point.

Here's one example:
Amazon Amazon

Old 10-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I've never, ever heard anyone say "if only I had used a better oil filter". Only when you don't change them on schedule do problems arise.

Better than good enough gets you zip, except maybe a lighter pocket and some vague feeling of superiority over the masses using "ordinary filters"./

good luck

Old 10-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I've never, ever heard anyone say "if only I had used a better oil filter". Only when you don't change them on schedule do problems arise.

Better than good enough gets you zip, except maybe a lighter pocket and some vague feeling of superiority over the masses using "ordinary filters"./

good luck
The question is, what is "good enough" when you run extended oil changes as I do? If you're only going 3,000 miles between oil changes, then a $2.00 filter is more than good enough; if you go 10,000+ miles, then the extra couple of bucks is money well spent.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:10 PM

Many people swear by the purolator filter, they can be had often for $2-$3 when on sale with a rebate. Its what I use, but honestly I dont really have a good reason as to why I use them.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

I'm thinking the Purolator filter folks swear by is the PureONE; more like $6.00 (plus or minus).

Quick Reply: Motorcraft FL810 oil filter?