General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

multiple problems need some help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Default multiple problems need some help please

ok, hey guys, here's the deal, 96 accord lx 2.2 5speed f22b2

i have oil which appears to be coming from the dizzy and down onto the tranny, not sure it is coming from the dizzy but it appears to be coming from there??? Any suggestions?

check engine light on, throws code p0420 , catalyst, do i need a new converter??

and the most annoying problem, in the morning car will start up fairly quickly within 1-3 seconds of turning the key, although it sometimes stumbles as if it was missing ( assuming oil leak into dizzy causing that but not sure ) but once it has started it, say i drive 5 minutes down the road to the store, shut it off and go in, when i get back out it literally will have to crank for like 10 seconds or more and sometimes if i pump the gas i can get it to turn over, if i do not pump the gas it takes around 15-20 seconds of cranking to get it running, and then when it does crank it runs at like 200 rpms and within 10 seconds or so works it way up to around the normal 700 rpms, now once it is started it runs perfectly, no noticable miss , and all the power i normally have all the way through the gears and rpms, it's just getting it started and 10 secondsafter that runs like poo. any suggestions or troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreaciated, thanks

Old 09-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: multiple problems need some help please

If there is oil inside the dist cap, the dist shaft seal is probably bad; easiest choice is rebuilt dist. But keep your old one till you know the rebuilt has a good ignitor in it.

If the oil is coming from the base of the dist, where it meets the head/valve cover, that means the O-ring is leaking. Very simple to replace.

the starting problems...New NGK plugs

Turn on the key wait till the CEL goes off then crank the engine. Allows full fuel pressure for optimum injector spray

Hot start/short hopproblems. Hold the gas pedal 1/2 way open when cranking.
PUMPING DOES NOTHING.

If you hold the gas pedal all the way downwhile cranking the injectors will shut off, good thing to know if flooding is the real problem.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:33 PM

yes oil seems to be coming from base where it meets the head

2 weeks ago i had to change the bottom spark plugs o rings, you know the ones under the rocker arms, i did a whole valve cover gasket set, as well as new ngk plugs and new wires

also i should mention when i start it, if i turn it off, then immediatly turn it back on it will crank right up, but if i wait 5 minutes or so then it must turn over for 10 or seconds before it goes, i am going out right now to try the half way down gas peddle thing i will report back in a minute

Old 09-08-2008, 05:36 PM

ok, i tried the halfway peddle idea you suggested and it did start very quickly, although it did still kinda stumble when it started but it did start very fast, any idea why i would need to hold gas 1/2 way down to get to start quickly??