General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple problems on my 91 accord wagon

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Default Multiple problems on my 91 accord wagon

I having multiple problems on my baby which is a 91 accord wagon. Hers a quick run down. 1. CEL comes on about 5 mins after starting/driving. 2. The green S light starts to flash after about 10 mins and continues to blink while im driving. 3. The idle seems to be high and it goes up and down for instant 2 rpms up to 3 rpms and back. 4. When i stop, i have to wait before i can start again because it wont start and also when it does it runs rough and acts if if its gonna cut off, like it bogs out.

My question is where should i start first. I really want to get her in tip top shape because im about to paint and change interior. Any help is TRULY AND GREATLY APPRCIATED.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:27 AM

did the cel check and got a code. it flashed slow 4 times then quick 3 times so that is code 43 correct??

Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 AM

replace the o2 sensor and see what happens dont forget to reprograme. o2 sensor is a little spendy for that car.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

Also, count the S light flashes the same way you counted the check engine light flashes. The S light flashing means that the transmission computer detected a problem.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:05 PM

Update. I emove the FITV, IACV and cleaned both of them thoroughly. They were some clogged i had to smack myself. I also change the air filter. Gave her a crank and she fired right up. RPM's was high but went down after a min or so. I took her for a spin around a few corners and she shut down on me twice. BUt no flashing S light or check engine light (maybe i didnt drive long enough). So is the 02 sensor and possibly the main relay the culprits that need work/change. Also should i look into the distributor/spark plugs/wires etc and the fuel filter will be changed. Let me know. Thanks people

Old 05-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

A bad O2 sensor will not cause the car to stall out, so that isn't your problem.

Can you get the car to stall out by shaking the key when the engine is running?

You might as well do a full tuneup, so you can keep a proper maintenance schedule.

Replace the spark plugs with NGK spark plugs ZFR6F-11. They are about $2 each and can be found at any parts store. The distributor cap and rotor, I would go with OEM ones from a Honda dealership. Inspect the spark plug wires for cracks in the insulation. Replace with OEM or NGK plug wires, because they last for a long time.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
A bad O2 sensor will not cause the car to stall out, so that isn't your problem.

Can you get the car to stall out by shaking the key when the engine is running?

You might as well do a full tuneup, so you can keep a proper maintenance schedule.

Replace the spark plugs with NGK spark plugs ZFR6F-11. They are about $2 each and can be found at any parts store. The distributor cap and rotor, I would go with OEM ones from a Honda dealership. Inspect the spark plug wires for cracks in the insulation. Replace with OEM or NGK plug wires, because they last for a long time.
Ok i had a hunch that i needed to check and/or maybe change the spark plugs. As far as the ditributor cap/rotor if i can get my hands on a oem honda one can i just go with the auto parts store have. i mean i will go for the best available.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:31 AM

i just went outside and cranked her up. She cranked right away. Now i had the paperclip in so i can check codes again. the flashing S light flased 6 different times.

1. 7 quick, 2. 8 quick, 3. 1 long , 4. 4 quick, 5. 1 quick, 6. 2 quick. What the hell does this mean cause im losing a lil faith here. anyone pleae lead me in the right direction.