General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiplex location?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default Multiplex location?

Hello. I am troubleshooting a no tail lights / no dash lights problem with my 97 Accord.

Where is the multiplex located? Is it on the fuse panel under the hood?

Thank you.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure there's multiplexers. I thought they started that in 1998??

Old 09-20-2010, 08:43 AM

IDK - I am trying very hard to get the tail lights / dash lights / parking lights to work on this 97 Accord.
It blows the 15 amp fuse under the hood as soon as the lights are turned on.
I have unplugged the after market radio - taillights
I do not know what to do.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:09 AM

We cannot drive this car at night.
Please does anyone know how to fix the problem.
I have down loaded the PDF manual and do not know what to do from here.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:16 PM

anyone at all have an idea on what I can do??

Old 09-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

I think you'll have to unplug as much as you can, then measure resistance to ground at each place. Measure things one-by-one, and/or plug things in one-by-one, measure each time, to narrow down which part of the wiring is touching ground.

The PDF manual should give you some guidance about where all the connectors are located, so you can unplug sections of the wiring harness.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

A short in the wiring will be tough to figure out. Inspect the wiring around the bulbs.

The #32 fuse (15 amp dash, parking lights) fuse is routed through the combination switch on the steering column.

If no recent work has been done on the car (or an accident), then I would suspect a short in the switch. I am not sure if you can clean then replace the dielectric grease inside, like my sister's grand am.

A new one will run ~$50 from a parts store, ~$70 from online honda parts store, or ~$100 from a dealership. A junkyard one would be an inexpensive option. I hate throwing parts at a car, but a cheap junkyard part may save you a bunch of time troubleshooting to rule out the switch.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
A short in the wiring will be tough to figure out. Inspect the wiring around the bulbs.

The #32 fuse (15 amp dash, parking lights) fuse is routed through the combination switch on the steering column.

If no recent work has been done on the car (or an accident), then I would suspect a short in the switch. I am not sure if you can clean then replace the dielectric grease inside, like my sister's grand am.

A new one will run ~$50 from a parts store, ~$70 from online honda parts store, or ~$100 from a dealership. A junkyard one would be an inexpensive option. I hate throwing parts at a car, but a cheap junkyard part may save you a bunch of time troubleshooting to rule out the switch.

I am with you as I hate throwing parts at a car too. I think I will order a combo switch tomm. Napa has them for $55.99, Autozone wants $72.99

I hope it fixes the problem as this car is for my girl to drive and she works at night.

Thank you for the help.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:55 AM

I replaced the headlight switch...still does not work. Nothing changed. It blows the fuse as soon as the switch hits the parking light detent.

PLEASE O PLEASE HELP ME. What do I need to do next? Please

Old 09-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Have you gone through unplugging sections of the circuit & re-checking resistance to ground? That's the first step to actually finding out where the short is located.

Unplug the new switch to see if it still shorts to ground. That'll tell you whether the short is "upstream" or "downstream" of the switch.

Quick Reply: Multiplex location?