General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Accord Hates Me!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default My Accord Hates Me!

I have taken 2 trips in this car and it has stranded me both times. Here are a list of the new parts I have into it and it still just cranks and doesn't fire up.

Battery
TPS
Map
O2 Sensors
EGR
VSS
Water Pump
Timing Belts and tensioners
Alternator
Fuel Pump with strainer
Fuel Filter

The spark plugs are wet. So I know fuel is getting in the cylinder.
Verified spark with tester
I am pretty sure air is getting in there.

So I am pretty stumped here. There is no CEL so I am not getting any clues.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:28 AM

What is "MAP"

and why are you replacing this parts? are you using a scanner and reading codes?

Note: you can go to any auto parts house and they will pull the codes for free

Brian B

Old 09-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

MAP = manifold absolute pressure sensor

With no CEL you'd think there's no error codes, but they might be stored. Go to AutoZone or someplace like that to check if there are any stored. If there's any, get the code number, not just the guy's description.

Check the vacuum line on the FPR. A ruptured diaphragm in the FPR will send fuel into the vacuum line, flooding it. If that's it, consider new plugs. I had a similar problem a long time ago & the plugs looked so nice that I was too stubborn to replace them. New plugs & it fired right up.

Last edited by JimBlake; 09-11-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I have a code reader and i have replaced some things because of codes. I notices i forgot to add these new parts too.

Distributor
Spark plugs and wires
Computer

I was reading more on here and thought fuel pressure regulator too. So I will check that next.

Thanks

97 Accord with 2.2 VTEC

Old 09-12-2012, 10:08 AM

ok.. so if it is not running, ie "doesn't fire up"

is it spark or compression or fuel that is not working correclty?

test for these first, then you have releaved 2/3's of possiblilites

get back with us and we will go from there.
Brian B

Old 09-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

so uh, ya wanna share the year and engine with us? with all those parts you've hung on the car, you probably could have gotten it fixed cheaper and the first time at any repair shop or dealer for that matter. put a fuel pump in it and don't forget to rotate the air in the tires...especially if it is factory

Old 09-12-2012, 11:39 AM

97 accord... have you checked the main relay?

Old 09-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So I have checked compression, spark, and fuel. All are fine. That is why this is such a mystery. Spark plugs fire, they are new. I get fuel pressure at the rail. That is new too. I have covered my basics here. I should say that I am a repair shop. I bought this car as a repairable. I also have a friend that his shop specializes in Honda and he is stumped as well. So right now we are out of the typical "that is the usual cause". I have checked every ground. Put it on the lift and looked underneath the car. And I have found nothing. The car ran great when I bought it and it had the code for the TPS being bad. So I had one of my guys change the TPS and it hasn't run since.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

And yes I have checked the main relay. I think what I am going to do is get new spark plugs. FPR seems to be okay.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by jasonboes
So I have checked compression, spark, and fuel. All are fine. That is why this is such a mystery. Spark plugs fire, they are new. I get fuel pressure at the rail. That is new too. I have covered my basics here. I should say that I am a repair shop. I bought this car as a repairable. I also have a friend that his shop specializes in Honda and he is stumped as well. So right now we are out of the typical "that is the usual cause". I have checked every ground. Put it on the lift and looked underneath the car. And I have found nothing. The car ran great when I bought it and it had the code for the TPS being bad. So I had one of my guys change the TPS and it hasn't run since.
Undo undo. Did you use an OEM part?

Quick Reply: My Accord Hates Me!