General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My accord seems to be full of gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 11:41 AM
Default My accord seems to be full of gremlins

New member here, I have a 1999 accord ex sedan 4dr I got off a very questionable guy in the city. Came with a clear title and a trunk full of gremlins. It's a manual but I have no idea if it came from Honda that way or it was swapped in. Lots of random issues that I can solve but the major issue is my cel and srs lights are on. Ran the codes came up as p1607 internal pcm fault. Tried to erase the code shut key off waited 25 seconds and turned it on same code. When running it also reads this code (as well as an 02 code for a sensor that does not exist, previous owner installed a single 4 ft pipe down the middle to the stock muffler). I also noticed I was missing the daylight and srs fuses in my panel, went to install a 10 amp (all I had) into the 7.5A slot for srs and it immediately blew. Car drives fine has no issues drivability wise all gears and whatnot work well. It's just these 2 dash lights (plus a weak fuel pump, a leaky caliper and some rust) holding me back from a sticker. Any ideas on what I should do besides getting a JY PCM? I understand there is a way to find the short likely causing this but I am no electrician I drive tow trucks lol. Any help is appreciated!

Old 11-13-2023, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Post the first 12 digits of your VIN and we can tell you the original setup. The vin is seen at the bottom of the windshield on the driver's side seen from outside the vehcile.

Are you using a code reader/scanner to reset the CEL? What is the other code you are getting?

Is the catalytic converter missing?

Are the two fuses that were missing #4 and #5 in the driver's side fuse box?

Old 11-14-2023, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Post the first 12 digits of your VIN and we can tell you the original setup. The vin is seen at the bottom of the windshield on the driver's side seen from outside the vehcile.

Are you using a code reader/scanner to reset the CEL? What is the other code you are getting?

Is the catalytic converter missing?

Are the two fuses that were missing #4 and #5 in the driver's side fuse box?
here is my vin, 1HGCG5547XA0
I was using a cheaper code scanner dtc lookup tool.
the other code is 02 sensor bank 2 I'll get the exact code at the shop, and yes the cat is missing
thank you for the response

Last edited by Beat99Honda; 11-15-2023 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Based on your VIN your accord was:
1HG Honda of America Vehicle
CG5 F23A1 Engine
5 Sedan with 5-speed manual transmission
4 LX/DX
7 Check Digit (no meaning)
A Made in Marysville, OH
0 US Model
The remaining digits are your serial number, so I edited to remove.

If you don't have a catalytic converter, then you probably will get a P0420 error code.

Old 11-15-2023, 11:03 AM

Sweet so it is original, thank you! The 02 code is indeed p0420. The fuse locations that are missing are #2 and #5 in the driver's side fuse panel. Could the pcm fault be causing srs issues?

Old 11-15-2023, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

The codes could be related, but I would treat them as separate codes.

#5 fuse is for daytime running lights for Canadian cars, so I don't think your US accord will have DRLs, so you can leave that fuse removed.

The #2 fuse protects a power wire going to the SRS unit that is below the radio. The fuse blowing immediately means there is a short to ground somewhere between the driver's fuse box and the SRS unit. You'd have to remove the center console and access the SRS control unit. I'd unplug the electrical connector to the SRS unit. Install a new fuse then turn the key on. If the fuse blows, the short is somewhere between the fuse box and that electrical connector. If the fuse doesn't blow, then your SRS unit has a dead short internally and will need to be replaced (or maybe repaired).

I'd recommend purchasing the 98-02 shop manual for how-to instructions on accessing items on your car. You can purchase a pdf from automanualsource.com for ~$22 and is well worth the investment for DIY work.

I'm not sure where to start on the P1607 fault as the shop manual doesn't have much testing for it. Basically, it has you substitute a known good PCM and see if the code goes away. You can check for powers and grounds at the PCM electrical connection using a test light for an initial test.