General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

SRS and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default SRS and Check Engine Light

Yesterday the SRS light came on when the car was started and didn't turn off. It was still on when I started the car this morning and then the check engine light came on while on the highway.
Could these be related? I'm going to autozone after work to get the engine codes scanned, will this show the problem with the air bags as well?

It has been below freezing lately and we got a lot of snow recently in case this matters. The car also seems to be taking longer start in the morning.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Autozone can extract the Check Engine Light code, but not the SRS code. This takes a Honda Diagnostic System, or there is a manual procedure. Check my posts over last week for thread w/ link describing method to manually extract SRS codes.

good luck

Old 01-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks. I haven't had a chance to check the SRS codes yet, I will try this weekend when I will have some sunlight.

I did get to scan the CEL code and pulled a P1457, which has to do with the evaporation system. Is there any chance these two things could be related or maybe something is wrong with the lights?

Is there anything wrong with clearing both codes first and then seeing if they turn back on?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Sometimes that is the first thing the factory service manuals suggests. If they come back and they are the same,,,,,game on

EDIT: And just so you know, these have a cycle they must go thru before they will reset the same code (CEL). So it might be a week, or so, before it comes back if there is an issue....and no, this won't get you passed emission testing because the ECU/PCM will "state/report it is not ready".

Last edited by poorman212; 01-05-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Don't clear the SRS code. Check your warranty booklet. I think 2000 Accord has SRS warranty "for the life of the car".

Search the DIY area for a thread by me about P1456 & P1457.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks, I was just about to reset the SRS light when I saw this. I went through the warranty guide and there wasn't any mention of SRS. I also went through the SRS booklet that came with the car but there is no mention of warranty in it either.

I have read elsewhere that some people have said the SRS light came on because of a bad battery. Before I bought the car I had it inspected and the mechanic said that the battery was bad and would probably die in 6 months and since then different mechanics have tested it and they always say 6 months. But now I've had the car for over 5 years and never had to change the battery.

The morning the SRS light came on it was really cold out and the car had a lot of trouble starting. Now that it's warmer and the car is starting fine, I thought it would be a good idea to reset the SRS and see if it comes on when the engine starts normally or if it only does when it gets cold again. It also seems strange the check engine light came on at roughly the same time and maybe a bad battery could explain both of the lights, like the sensors weren't getting the correct voltage across them and so throwing an error. Does this seem possible? Should I reset the lights?

Old 01-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Look again at the warranty booklet. It might say "airbags" instead of "SRS".

Old 01-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies

It was only $10 to have the code read by the dealer, so I just went and had it done figuring whatever the problem there wasn't anything I could do about it anyway and I didn't want to reset the code an lose it.

It turned out to be the driver's seat buckle and is fully covered by warranty (even the $10). So it turned out pretty good. I remember reading elsewhere that people weren't sure if the airbags would deploy in a wreck if the light was on, the guy at the dealer said they definitely will not just to clear that up.

On the downside, now they are telling me that the brake and fuel lines are rusted and need to be replaced to the tune of $1300.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Get quotes on the brake & fuel lines. I don't know if 1300 is reasonable, but I did have the same thing on a 95 Integra when it was about 10 years old. Leaking fuel & nonworking brakes are not good things.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I saw "cupro-nickel" brake lines at Sherco Auto supply at reasonable prices and they are more corrosion-resistant than stainless (pits under chloride attack). A 50-ft coil of 3/16" was < $100. This should be enough for all lines.

good luck

Quick Reply: SRS and Check Engine Light