General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my car has the hiccups

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 07:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Google cd7_cd9.pdf The 3rd hit is the 94 shop manual.

When describing your codes, let us know if these are CEL or D4 codes.
Only d4 codes. No CEL.
1- lockup solenoid A
8- shift solenoid B
13- Main shaft speed pulse generator open or shorted.
14- Linear (line pressure control) solenoid open or shorted.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

D4 Code 13 and 14 are different in my shop manual. Both codes are pointing towards a bad ECU, or possibly a bad TCU.

My advice is to go to a u-pull-it junkyard and pickup an ECU and a TCU from a 94/95, LX/DX, automatic transmission, 4-cylinder. These are pretty inexpensive.

Look up the OEM part number to ensure you get the correct ECU/TCU. Sites like hondapartsnow.com are pretty good. You can also clear your vehicle, enter the OEM part number, then see what vehicles use the same part number.

You may want to check your ECU fuse in the cabin fuse box and also the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

D4 Code 13 and 14 are different in my shop manual. Both codes are pointing towards a bad ECU, or possibly a bad TCU.

My advice is to go to a u-pull-it junkyard and pickup an ECU and a TCU from a 94/95, LX/DX, automatic transmission, 4-cylinder. These are pretty inexpensive.

Look up the OEM part number to ensure you get the correct ECU/TCU. Sites like hondapartsnow.com are pretty good. You can also clear your vehicle, enter the OEM part number, then see what vehicles use the same part number.

You may want to check your ECU fuse in the cabin fuse box and also the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse.
I've been having several issues over the last 3 years that had been pointing me to a possible ecu issue. Finding a new 1 was a problem since apparently the numbers have to mach EXACTLY. I was finally able to get a hold of 1. I put it in a few hours ago. Now, I only had the codes 1, 8, and 13. Checked both the under hood and cabin ecu fuses. Checked the wiring harness and connectors to both tcu and ecu. Tried to start 're up. Crank but no start. And now I have an added code14. I know I'm counting the flashes correctly, but finding out what these codes actually mean seems to be an issue. Depends on where I look. This is where I got the last ones from.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...s-codes-33940/
If you have something different, please let me know. ANY help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Google search cd7_cd9.pdf

The 3rd hit is the 94 shop manual.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well, both ecu and tcu have been replaced. I decided to check and make sure there were no stored codes before trying to start the car. How is it possible, I'm getting the SAME d4 codes? Totally different ecu and tcu! I'm very confused and frustrated. Oh, and before I changed them out it was at least acting like it wanted to start. Now it's just making a high winding. I've touched nothing else. HELP!

Last edited by rhanvey; 04-26-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Google search cd7_cd9.pdf

The 3rd hit is the 94 shop manual.
Oh, and can't get that site to send me the registration email so I can download the manual. I've tried several times.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Anybody? This is getting desperate.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

What are the honda part numbers on the ECU and TCU? They should be on a sticker and be something like 37820-P0A-A51

Old 05-07-2019, 08:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

What are the honda part numbers on the ECU and TCU? They should be on a sticker and be something like 37820-P0A-A51
ECU/ 37820-POB-A50
TCU/ 28100-POJ-901
I have already replaced both with new(used) ones, exact matching part #s. Never got to run the car, but still giving me the same d4 codes.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Try installing the old TCU and keep the new ECU. See if the problem resolves. If not, use the old ECU with the new TCU.

Quick Reply: my car has the hiccups