General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My GF's cheap car :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Default My GF's cheap car :)

I appreciate anyone taking their time to read this. I bought a 90 accord lx cheap. started and drove home fine. had a busted windshield and mismatched bald tires so it sat for awhile...ontop of it sat for awhile before. finally got the windshield fixed so i started driving it every other day. it would then while driving the rpm's would drop to zero like you shut the key off but it wouldnt die...then seconds later come back too..it wouldnt respond to acceleration when this happend...so i checked the spark plugs and they had oil on them so i changed the plugs and wires and gromments and seals and it started and purred like a kitten...so i parked it and a week later i told my girl to drive it (its her car) and she said it ran for like a minute and died. i started it the next day and it ran for 3 seconds and died and hasnt started since. Any ideas? im about to change the fuel pump but i figured id see what someone else has to say first before i go dropping the tank...Thanks ) also the sport light blinks after awhile then the car just cuts out when you try to get up a hill or just accelerate too much.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:17 PM

did you check for codes? did you check your ecu if its getting any power? visually check it too.

if you are getting a buzzing/humming sound before starting your fuel pump is okay still.

goodluck

Old 09-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

There are a few things you can do.

Check for engine codes (see link in common diy thread on top of gen tech help forum).

Disconnect the battery. Clean all ends of both battery cables with a wire brush or some sand paper. Do the same for the ground wire that is on the thermostat housing.

The rpm dropping to zero sounds like an ignition problem, but you need to diagnose first. Using an old spark plug and grounding the threads is a pretty simple test for spark.

Try turning the key to the II position (don't try to start the car) and listen for the fuel pump to turn on for about two seconds when the check engine light turns on for the bulb check. It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound that comes from the back seat, so turn off radio, blower, etc... and listen carefully. This is a quick test for fuel.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:19 AM

Like the old saying goes either you dont have air,fuel or spark.I would check the plugs for fouling and spark then everything you touched will working on them the first time.I would also buy and hook up a fuel pressure gauge($30) to the test port and watch it while the system primes and then and tries to start to see if it's in spec.If you dont hear the pump prime or see pressure on the gauge smack the bottom of tank with a broom stick while the ignition is in the off position and it may it start on the next try.I had an Areo Star once and where i had to get out of the seat and walk to the back and stomp the floor above the tank for a every time I had to start it for a month until I could afford a new fuel pump.If you do all of the above you will find your issue.

Last edited by matt2005; 09-22-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:25 PM

I got a new cap and rotor. The inside of the cap had buildup and the rotor was really worn. It started and ran and I drove it for a few miles and did just fine. The rpm's didn't drop but it still idles pretty low. Will drive further soon. Thanks guys

Old 09-25-2012, 04:27 PM

Oh and its not throwing any codes and it wasn't before. The sport light didn't flash either will keep updated