General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my idle drops when streering wheel is turned

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Default my idle drops when streering wheel is turned

well yesterday i was at mickey d's and wen i was ordering through the drive trui was turning the steering wheel and it started vibrating and my rpms dropped low? any ideas?

Old 01-26-2008, 01:19 PM
Default RE: my idle drops when streering wheel is turned

Were you turned all the way in one direction?

Old 01-26-2008, 01:25 PM

not all the way, just enough to make the turn

Old 01-26-2008, 02:46 PM

most likely the power steering pressure switch is failing or has failed.

the ps pressure switch simply informs the pcm that it needs to increase the idle speed because of the ps system load. if it goes bad or the wiring for it breaks and makes intermittent contact it will cause fluctuating idle problems when turning the wheel and it can cause the car to stall when parking or idle speed turning.

what year?

Old 01-26-2008, 03:49 PM

its a 1994 lx auto, well it hasent stalled on me, about how much is this repair? i also noticed at night wen i step on the accel pedal the dash lights dim a bit? any ideas?

Old 01-26-2008, 05:39 PM

Do the rpm also drop when you use the AC or use the window winders, lights etc? If so then I'd be thinking IACV.

Other problem is a bit odd, I'd expect the lights (dash or otherwise) to brighten with increased rpm, which might be a battery issue.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:34 PM

Mine is affected by any no load, does the same thing turning steering wheel, radio, a/c, high beams only at idle, never stalls i cleaned the iacv and its getting better doesn't do it once it's warmed up. I took off the IACV and cleaned it with throttle body cleaner and it seemed to really help, because before it would shudder and shake.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: eric123

Mine is affected by any no load, does the same thing turning steering wheel, radio, a/c, high beams only at idle, never stalls i cleaned the iacv and its getting better doesn't do it once it's warmed up. I took off the IACV and cleaned it with throttle body cleaner and it seemed to really help, because before it would shudder and shake.
What happens if you disconnect the IACV electrical connector? If the idle drops more than a bit or the engine stalls then the base idle speed is set too low. This could mean the IACV is struggling to adaquately adjust idle speed with auxilliary loads on the engine, especially if the IACV is still partially blocked.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:00 AM

ORIGINAL: eric123

Mine is affected by any load, does the same thing turning steering wheel, radio, a/c, high beams only at idle, never stalls i cleaned the iacv and its getting better doesn't do it once it's warmed up.
i thought it was only when turning the steering wheel. [8D]

Old 01-27-2008, 08:12 AM

That's the thing when I first got the car the only one I could notice was the steering. But then after I made that post it started doing it worse for the steering and for everything else. Now it just does it lightly for the steering, but doesn't shudder or stall.

Quick Reply: my idle drops when streering wheel is turned