General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

is my wiring bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Default is my wiring bad

I have a 2003 honda accord ex. So I hit a deer 2yrs. Ago and everything on my front end had to be replaced. Since then my battery of less
Then 7mnths had yo be replaced, my fuses for phone chargers all burnt out. I replaced the fuse and it burnt out immediately. Now my lights are stuck on bright. I can click to dim but theyre still bright. Any ideas please help......?

Old 03-15-2014, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A "black box" called control block receives a signal from combination switch control unit to enable bright lights. Both lights stuck on bright suggests a common fault in the control block. However, both hi beam relays could be stuck closed, an unusual but possible fault. It's also possible the combination switch control unit could be faulty.

Control block also controls side marker, rear tail lights, and tag light. Are they working correctly?

Power sockets are driven by two fuses; fuse 9 and fuse 32 in underhood fuse box. If fuse 9 is blowing, look for something shorting one of the power plugs (coin is one possibility), or wiring fault. If fuse 32 is blowing, the accessory power socket relay may be shorted (new relay to fix).

good luck

Old 03-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

If the high beams are at full brightness and won’t turn off, I would kind of suspect it’s either the combination switch control unit, the control block within the relay control module, or the multiplex integrated control unit (MICU).
  • It is more likely a problem with the control block within the relay control module. The relay control module is built into under-hood fuse/relay box. Within the relay control module is a control unit, as well as several relays; separate high and low beam headlight relays, horn relay, tail light relay. The relays receive battery voltage at all times. The grounding and operation of the relays are controlled by the multiplex system. An issue with the control block causing a problem with the headlights will not necessarily cause something else such as the horns or the tail lights, etc. to malfunction.
  • The headlight Switch (The light switch assembly (on the left side of the steering column) has a wiring harness which has a connector (Connector B) which runs to and plugs into the Wiper Switch Assembly on the right side.
  • Combination Switch Control Unit (The combination switch control unit is built into the wiper/washer switch assembly on the right side of the steering column.) Connector B from the headlight switch plugs into this combination switch control unit.
You can remove the steering wheel column cover, and unplug Connector B from the combination switch control unit on the right; if the high beam stays on, then that is more indication it may be something like either combination switch control unit or relay control module.

There was another thread on this forum before, where I instructed that person to unplug Connector B from the Wiper Switch Assembly. However, what worked for him was when he also unplugged a different connector from the steering column (he disconnected the cable reel Connector B, which also goes to the relay control module). After he plugged everything back in, his high beams no longer stayed on all the time and went back to working normally. His problem may have been an intermittent problem at the relay control module then causing the high beams to stay on. – Your problem may or may not be fixed by a simple disconnect and re-connect of the wire harness connectors; but, it may narrow down the problem to either the relay control module or the combination switch control unit.

Attached Thumbnails is my wiring bad-steering-column-connectors.jpg  
Old 03-15-2014, 06:00 PM

I had my car with the brights on all the time, removed the relay in the fuse box under the hood and that did the charm. Might work for you.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

A 2003 Accord is not the same as a 1996 Accord. The relay control module for a 2003 Accord is built into the under-hood fuse/relay box.