General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mystery rattling noise while driving at lower speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Mystery rattling noise while driving at lower speed

Hello all, my car is a 2002 Accord coupe EX-L 5 Speed that turned 198K miles just this morning ( Yay!). Here is the problem I experienced, as I was driving no more that 10 miles/hour on a side road, before getting to work, I heard this rattling or grinding sound that sounded coming from the front or underneath that car.
II immediately stopped the car for a minute, then started driving again, and the sound went away.
Tow minutes later, I got to work and checked underneath the car and didn't find anything hanging or touching the ground. Popped the hood and didn't see anything.

My first guess was the muffler broke or the Catalytic converter went bad? Could it be the Cat converter or a cracked piston?
Not really sure how to go about figuring out this problem, but I thought maybe someone had this problem before and is able to help.

Thanks in advance for your time,
-Mott

Old 10-21-2010, 10:32 AM

I had a similar issue with my 96 Accord. For me it was a heat shield that had broken. I just took it off and the rattle went away. Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by skipnstones
I had a similar issue with my 96 Accord. For me it was a heat shield that had broken. I just took it off and the rattle went away. Hope this helps.

If it is the Heat shield around the Cat converter, would the noise come back? or the shield may have fallen off?

Many thanks for responding, I really appreciate it

-Mott

Old 10-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Sorry for being so vague, but yes, the heat shield around the catalytic converter. If I remember correctly it was held on by 4 screws. In my case two or more of the "tabs" had broken causing a rattling noise at low speeds.

I hope this is your problem as all the other stuff sounds $$$$.

Good luck.