General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Is it necessary to take out the coolant if it goes almost to the cap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Is it necessary to take out the coolant if it goes almost to the cap?

I added the coolant almost to the cap because I could not see the max line very well. Must I take it out or it is ok? The vehicle is 97 Honda Accord.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

If you are referring to the coolant reservoir; yes, remove some of the coolant till it is at the MAX line. Just take off the cap, put your thumb in the opening, grasp the reservoir with your hand and pull it straight up to remove the reservoir off the bracket. It only takes less than a minute to correct the level.

The coolant reservoir on your car doesn't have an overflow tube or hole like some other makes of cars, to let excess coolant come out of the reservoir when it is filled up. As the cooling system is pressurized and depending on the operating conditions, coolant will flow out from the radiator to the reservoir and get drawn back in later. If the reservoir was already over the MAX level and to the top of the cap when cold, there is no room left in the reservoir for the coolant to flow out of the radiator.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

I think there's a tiny vent hole in the cap of the reservoir. I'll just leak out there if it gets too full. I don't think the coolant will expand so fast to blow off the cap.