General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Almost ran out of gas and now car running rough-coincidence?

Old 05-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Default Almost ran out of gas and now car running rough-coincidence?

Last night I took my girlfriends 91 Accord just a mile and half down the road to a friends house on a low tank of gas. Before I left she mentioned that she thought it was running funny when she was going uphill and I should see if I noticed anything weird. It was idling kind of high (about1600-1800) and kind of hesitated as I took off. The fuel light came on just before I reached my destination which was pretty much downhill from where I took off. On the way back though the engine had no power at all facing any kind of incline, would lose speed and nearly stall, but if i turned around and went downhill it would rev up and sound just like normal. So I thought it would (obviously) be running weird cuz it was so low on fuel, but after returning with a gas can and starting it up again, it idles at less than 200 and almost dies.

Her car is stuck a few blocks away at the bottom of a hill and I'm not sure what to do. Has there been a loss of fuel pressure? Could the fuel pump be messed up now? There's no CEL.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Try a lot more than a couple gallons of fuel. But I'm surprised the fuel light didn't come on earlier. The best way to tell if there's loss of fuel pressure is to measure it.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I agree with Jim, i would try more gas and see if it helps, if it still runs bad and fuel pressure is good, chk to make sure that all injectors are firing properly,,

if pressure is low, i would replace fuel filter first and recheck pressure , if still low, fuel pump needs to be looked at,, possibly partially plugged pick up screen

Old 05-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Administrator
Lightbulb

Did you pull your plugs to see if they maybe are real wet?
You might also have a vacume leak at the gasket between
the intake manifold and the throttle body...

WheelBrokerAng
click image please

Attached Thumbnails Almost ran out of gas and now car running rough-coincidence?-455325main_aero-690.jpg  
Old 05-24-2010, 03:58 PM

Thanks a lot for the input guys.

We're gonna go look at it today, and I'll start with bringing it some more fuel and go from there.