General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice from Accord owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:22 PM
DC5TypeS
Unregistered
Default Need advice from Accord owners

Hey guys, as you can see I'm new to this forum. I'm an active member over at ClubRSX.com and previously on preludeonline.com for my 5th gen lude.

With that out of the way, I'm looking for advice from those who drive the 1996 generaion Accords. My grandma drives an automatic 2.2 liter 4 banger (not H22). She said lately the transmission has been shifting a little rough, so I drove it around for a little while, and it definately does shift hard between all gears.

So I swung by CarQuest to get some some fluid and a filter, they told me I could only use genuine Honda, that there weren't any non-OEM alternatives.. it sounds a little unlikely to me, but I figure they have a big database to tell them such things. So basically I'm wondering what kind of auto transmission fluid you guys run in your Accord.. Also, any insight on changing an "in-line filter"?

Thanks in advance to anyone with something useful to say.

Cliff notes: What kind of tranny fluid would you use in your 1996 Honda Accord 4 cylinder with the auto transmission?

Old 10-13-2009, 10:34 PM

Recommend - Redline D4 ATF

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=9

Redline D4 ATF
  • Our most versatile ATF, use where Dexron III®, Dexron II®, Mercon® and Mercon V® fluids are recommended, provides a GL-4 level of gear protection
  • Popular applications: Toyota Type T-III and T-IV, Honda ATF Z1, NissanMatic D & J, Diamond SP-II, SP-III, Mazda ATF M-V, most BMW, Audi, VW automatic transmissions
  • Also used with manual transmissions and transaxles like T-5, T-45, T-56 and late-model BMW
  • Excellent cold weather operation
Regards

Richard

Old 10-13-2009, 10:45 PM
DC5TypeS
Unregistered

Originally Posted by searich07
Recommend - Redline D4 ATF

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=9

Redline D4 ATF
  • Our most versatile ATF, use where Dexron III®, Dexron II®, Mercon® and Mercon V® fluids are recommended, provides a GL-4 level of gear protection
  • Popular applications: Toyota Type T-III and T-IV, Honda ATF Z1, NissanMatic D & J, Diamond SP-II, SP-III, Mazda ATF M-V, most BMW, Audi, VW automatic transmissions
  • Also used with manual transmissions and transaxles like T-5, T-45, T-56 and late-model BMW
  • Excellent cold weather operation
Regards

Richard
Richard, thank you so much for your response, is this a Dexron III equivalent also?

What is your advice on the ATF additives? I have done some searching around this forum and found a few discussions where theres no real consensus on if it's fine to use other ATF's, and many swear by an additive.

Thanks again.