General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need expert opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Question Need expert opinions

I have a 1996 Honda Accord LX, 2.2, non v-tech. A few weeks ago the car acted like it did not want to start (similar to the way a flooded car feels when trying to start). Anyway, when it started, it reminded me of an older vehicle I used to have that had a hydraulic lifter that wasn't pumped up initially. It ran extremely rough for about 15 seconds, then smoothed up to its normal self. I immedately changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and fuel filter, to no avail. It still does the same thing when I crank it every morning and evening, then just smooths up after few seconds. This went on for about 2 weeks, only the other day it overheated slightly on the way home. When I checked the oil, it was milky, indicating a head gasket leak I guess. The only CPU code I had was a O2 sensor heater.

Was the head gasket leak caused by the first condition possibly? I'm not sure how to proceed. I don't want to waste time replacing the gasket until i verify nothing else is wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Overheating is one cause of a head gasket leak. You could have the radiator pressure tested and inspect the cap. Turn on the a/c and see if both radiator fans turn on to make sure they work. Inspect the radiator.

Your description sounds like a head gasket problem or maybe a cracked cylinder head? You may want to try a compression test on the engine.

You will have to have the cylinder head milled so it is flat when you go to replace the head gasket. You will be draining the coolant, so I would replace the thermostat with one from a Honda dealership while you are doing the repair.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I had similar symptoms on my 94EX. It would start rough and clear quickly. I had no coolant in oil. When I pulled spark plugs and turned engine over, I could see water spraying form spark plug opening. New cylinder head gasket and rebuilt head fixed the problem.

If you have milky oil, don't wait as this can damage lower end bearings.

good luck

Old 04-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Default Thanks

OK, THX for both of the responses. I will definately check these areas. I should also mention that there was no overheating for the 2 weeks prior, just the super-rough start / idle, then smoothing up to perfect within 30 seconds or so. I wonder if this symptom caused the head gasket leak somehow.

Last edited by barhillsman; 04-26-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:23 PM

Symptom is not a cause, but a result.

Keep us posted on progress.

good luck

Old 04-30-2011, 12:37 PM

We have a 97 accord with 2.2. We purchased car about 2 months ago with 275k miles. Car ran great but idled a little rough. It had a basic tune up & oil change after purchase, with no concerns. About a month in my wife called and said car was overheating after several hours of stop and go driving. When I checked the cooling fan was locked up. Replaced fan, and fuse which had blown. Now car overheats after alot of use. I can start car in driveway on 80deg day, turn a/c on full blast and leave it sit for an hour and no issues. I have replaced the thermostat, and small hose from AIV which I broke when cleaning air idle valve (whole nother issue). No water in oil.

1) What pressure should the radiator cap be?
2) Where do find a rig for testing cooling system?

Old 04-30-2011, 02:17 PM

Manual says cap should hold at 14-18 psi.

Some auto parts stores have pressure testing rigs, but be sure they have an adapter for your radiator cap.

Similar to cap, the system should hold 14-18 psi when tested.

Possibly a weak radiator cap or cylinder head gasket leak. Is coolant reservoir overflowing?

good luck

Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the help on the 97 honda. I haven't yet got everything back together. After pulling and inspecting the head and camshaft, I found the end of the camshaft had excessive wear on the key slot, and has a hairline crack. I'm having difficulty getting my hands on a new camshaft. For some reason, only the dealer can get one, but its too expensive. Any ideas from anyone on where I can score one at a reasonable price.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

car-part for a used one?....next thing if you want a new one would be a "mild" aftermarket cam....check some of the sponsors of this site for prices...TAS??? I think is one.