General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Default Need Help!!

Ok so I have a 1996 Accord and I'm haveing a reoccuring problem. About two years ago I was having an issue of everyonce and awhile the car would struggle to start and then when it did run if you pushed the accelerator to quickly from a dead stop the car would stumble and die. Well after replacing the fuel filter, ignition coil, main fuse.....none of that did anything to help the problem so I stepped back and took it to Honda well they had it for about a week and couldn't figure it out at all! Well on the last day the mechanic suggested the igniton control module, well they wanted close to $800 to replace it so I said no thanks I'll do it my self. Well I picked one up from Checker Auto Parts and put it in, problem went away, sort of.....the spade connectors on the replacement part were a tad bit smaller so the connections were loose so when it would die I would just have to make sure those were on good and it worked fine. Well after about a week of that I took a pair of plies and crimped the connertors on tight and haven't had a problem since. Until about two weeks ago, the car started having the same symptoms....I looked at the connections again just thinking they came loose but they were good and tight....

So I'm looking for a solution to this problem, and information on what exactly the ignition control module does, because I think that might help me narrow this down and or figure out what is causing it to fail.

Nick

Old 09-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Almost A Senior Member

The Ignition Control Module is also referred to as the Ignitor. Basicly, it computes and controls spark from the coil and sends it to the distributor for ignition function. It controls length and intensity of the spark and can cause the failure you speak of.
Sort of like a regulator for the power going through the distributor....
Do a google search for 1996 Accord ICM function for more info on its function.