General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 LX, Cruise Control issue, searched but,...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Default 2000 LX, Cruise Control issue, searched but,...

I went through a few old posts to see if I could find this and some are close but then not close enough...
IF I push in the control button on the left side of dash, the light comes on, whatever mph I have, I push the set button on the steering wheel, I can feel the car want to take 'control' at the pedal, but then in a split second it lets go... However, if I try to recall, nothing. If I try to SET again, nothing... I have to push the main button on the dash and turn off again before I get any reaction from anything. I have checked the brake light switch, not that. I have had the entire dash out before and checked each and every pin out and the resulting voltage, or horn blast etc. and nada.
I figured maybe at this point the actuator but it holds vacuum just fine but still thought, hmmm well maybe and bought one off ebay, pulled part, for a quarter. Not that much but I just can't afford to have any dealer or shop do this. Besides, when I could work this is what I did but Big Trucks, it's all relative..
So, I am asking for any helping input here please. I am baffeled...
thx

Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

How about where the cable attaches to the throttle? All connected good?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Auto or Stick shift? I just recently purchased a 2k LX with 5 spd. Cruise did similar, until I adjusted the switch on the clutch. Now it works perfectly.

And BTW, I found that answer by searching on here, not dinging you cause you did not see it, but thanking the members and the forum for giving me the answer to use and to share.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:27 PM

Yes.. all is good with the connections and all the hose is good too. I checked the actuator with my vacuum gun and it held mucho plenty gud.. I did notice that when I ttired to pull vacuum on the canister side that it would not pull down hardly at all. It would but had to work the vacuum gauge many times to just get the needle to move a little. I thought maybe that was normal for the canister but really that doesn't make sense to me. I also could not see how that thing is hanging on the firewall. I didn't get a mirror and light to check it out. But I have a CD that is suppose to be a manual I got off ebay.. what a joke. i saw the automanualsource.com and would like to have seen that before I got this CD. But I just don't have the cash to invest in something like that now.. Even just 22 bucks.. such is life..
Anyway, the part that really baffles me is that when I try to engage the SET control and it 'trys' to take it but then drops it so fast, why won't the resume work. Plus I think that I forgot to mention that the indicator up in the dash will also go on very quick and then go out even quicker. It too will not come back on again until the 'master' switch/button on the dash is turned off then back on again.... I figure that would be an indication maybe to the way the circuit works with the resume. If it doesn't reset itself I mean... If anyone might know this, a heads up would be appreciated... thx..
it is an auto trans...

Last edited by Rokkandy; 09-01-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Adding trans type..
Old 09-02-2011, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by dgLX2k
Auto or Stick shift? I just recently purchased a 2k LX with 5 spd. Cruise did similar, until I adjusted the switch on the clutch. Now it works perfectly.

And BTW, I found that answer by searching on here, not dinging you cause you did not see it, but thanking the members and the forum for giving me the answer to use and to share.

Then why even bring it up when I have already said that I have checked for the answer but have not found any with the exact symptoms I am experiencing... makes no sense.. to me anyway... I checked your other posts for what you were complaining about with you new purchase and nothing said about the cruise at all... You asked a question of someone[wheels] with a 98 LX that was having problems but still not what I am having..
Your only other comment on a post about cruise control is mine...

So I still am searching for some help with this please... or do tell:
Did ALL of the symptoms of your problem match what I am experiencing? The light come on and off in a flash and not come back on until you reset the dash button? All of your vacuum readings good too minus possibly the canister? I have check ALL of the test points with my meter and test light and found nothing that did not check out correct. That is why I suspected the actuator. Now I am not so sure it is that either... So I am still hawking for other suggestions here please..

Old 09-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The point was purely not to take credit for info I found here, and to show appreciation for help I received. I had not asked on here as I found the solution by searching and did not need to post about it.

I never noticed the light come on and immediately go off. Just offering a suggestion. Use it ignore it, I don't care.

Good luck.

Last edited by dgLX2k; 09-02-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:08 PM

I was already of the mind that you didn't care...
My first day here and I already get one... jeshhh.

I still didn't see where you ever posted about having the problem youself, just a comment on "wheels" problem..
I didn't appreciate the approach but my comment was not retalitory.