General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help for 91 accord

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:40 PM
jbrede
Unregistered
Default need help for 91 accord

i have a 91 accord and when the car is running it would just die and then wont start, but if you let it sit it will start right up. i changed the main relay and the car was ok for about a week and then the issue came back. could someone please help?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Can you make it stall by wiggling the key? Flaky ignition switch isn't very rare.

When it's running, does it run GOOD? Any other symptoms?

Old 08-17-2009, 03:22 PM
jbrede
Unregistered

i tried wiggling the key as suggested from other posting but nothing, i took it to the shop to get it checked and they said there are no error codes and checked the fuel pressure which was good. changed the spark plugs, wires, dist. cap & rotor, the shop said fuel pump is good, also i was driving on the freeway at about 55-60 MPH and it just died on me, then it wouldn't start. took an hour before it statred. im trying to check all other suggestions from other peoples related issues. please keep the suggestions and tips coming its fustrating but determind to fix the problem. oh yeah when running it runs good.

thanks!

Last edited by jbrede; 08-17-2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: missed some info
Old 08-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Main relay maybe, but people have said it's unlikely to stall an engine that's already running.

Carry around some starter fluid. When it doesn't start, spray some in the intake. If it sputters & runs for a couple seconds that means your spark is good & the problem is fuel.

Another way is to have a timing light. Hook it up (when it won't start) to see if it has spark. That is, if you own a timing light & if you're inclined to check this stuff yourself.

If it turns out to be lack of spark, then we can worry about coil vs. ignitor vs. loose wiring somewhere vs. other stuff???

Also, remember that having good fuel pressure doesn't prove that your injectors are actually firing. If you narrow it down to a fuel problem, THEN we can look at wiring problems for the injectors.

The process of narrowing down the possibilities is a pain when it only screws up occassionally.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i am willing to bet that it will turn out to be a coil or ignitor issue ..

try something........remove the distr cap, look at the ignitor if it is black ( OKI brand ) then replace it regardless, they go bad all th time ,, if it is brown than it is the new style then you need to wait till car won't start to properly diagnose it

Old 08-17-2009, 04:08 PM
jbrede
Unregistered

i just change the main relay but i did the check with the test lite and hooked it up to the coil, i turned the key to the on position and the light comes on. when i crank the engine the light dimmers a little but do not pulsate and according to it indicates a bad igniter. how do we fix this igniter problem?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jbrede
... how do we fix this igniter problem?
Replace the ignitor (#1) inside the distributor.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Jim,,

What would this forum do without you.......you are on top of things so fast and provide all these pictures to make it easier on all members to understand when we try to explain something ..

Old 08-17-2009, 06:34 PM
jbrede
Unregistered

i bought a new distributor because it is cheaper and since the old one looked beat. now when i put the new one in and if i was to try and do the check with the test lite what exactly is the light supposed to do? will update when the new part gets put in. thanks very much for all the support.